Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Computer jump to a other AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 10, 2013 04:18 PM

I have a weird problem with my ipad  and I have the same problem with computer (but I don't connect to air play).

I'm in the class and my ipad connect to AP#1 (It very close to me)
    After 10 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#1 to connect to the AP#2 (further)
    After 5 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#2 to connect to the AP#3 (more further)
    After 15 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#3 to reconnect to the AP#1

I don't move, for me, my ipad have no reason the change the AP.

I have to reconnect every time with my air play server.

Did you have some hint for me?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2013 05:00 PM

@rgodin wrote:

I have a weird problem with my ipad  and I have the same problem with computer (but I don't connect to air play).

I'm in the class and my ipad connect to AP#1 (It very close to me)
    After 10 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#1 to connect to the AP#2 (further)
    After 5 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#2 to connect to the AP#3 (more further)
    After 15 minutes, my ipad disconnect to AP#3 to reconnect to the AP#1

I don't move, for me, my ipad have no reason the change the AP.

I have to reconnect every time with my air play server.

Did you have some hint for me?

Thank you

You might have to turn down the power on all of your access points.  That behavior occurs when the power of all of your access points are too high and they are seen as candidates to that device.  Are these IAPs or controller-based access points?

• 3.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 10, 2013 05:06 PM

Controller

I update the controller to 6.3.1.1. But my client can't tell me if the problem come before or after.

Where I have to go to change this option?

• 4.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2013 05:09 PM

First you need to find out what is the power all of your access points are at.  The output of "show ap active" should tell you that.

• 5.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 10, 2013 05:49 PM

Perfect I check for the information and I come back with the information.

• 6.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 08:33 AM

This is my information but before I ask to my client I would like to know if is the good thing you want:

11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP
    AP:HT:11/22/22.5

• 7.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2013 08:37 AM

@rgodin wrote:

This is my information but before I ask to my client I would like to know if is the good thing you want:

11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP
    AP:HT:11/22/22.5

That is the output we need.  We need to check the power on all three of the access points involved.  In that output the access point is very close to full power, and that is the biggest reason why clients roam to other access points while they are stationary.  Let us see what the output is for the other two access points involved.  It might not be possible to reduce the power if the access points are very spaced out, but we need to see the power of those first two access points first.

• 8.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 09:48 AM

I have the same output for all the AP.

I read on Aruba documentation, I have the option for the controller to select the best radio profile (a or g) dynamically and this is a option I have to select. Can you tell me where is this option?

• 9.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2013 09:52 AM

@rgodin wrote:

I have the same output for all the AP.

I read on Aruba documentation, I have the option for the controller to select the best radio profile (a or g) dynamically and this is a option I have to select. Can you tell me where is this option?

To be clear, the problem could be is that the power is too high on the access points, so they all seem attractive to the client.  The access points are possibly at or near max power, base on your output.  The solution is to turn the ARM MAX TX power down to 18 and arm MIN TX power to 12 and see if things improve.  That is the only thing that you should change at this time.

arm-min.png

• 10.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP

Posted Dec 11, 2013 09:58 AM

Ok thank you, I try this.

For the other option, did you know where is the option?

• 11.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 11, 2013 10:01 AM

@rgodin wrote:

Ok thank you, I try this.

For the other option, did you know where is the option?

I do not know what option specifically you mean.  Turning down the power is the main solution to your issue.

• 12.  RE: Computer jump to a other AP
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2013 10:07 AM

Thank you