Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

This thread has been viewed 84 times
  • 1.  Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 08, 2017 02:59 PM

Hey All,

We have our Aruba 228 devices being managed through Aruba Central. I would like to modify the called_station_id so that I can apply connection request policies through our NPS servers.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-configure-called-station-ID-and-Calling-station-ID-in-IAP/ta-p/292705

There is no GUI for this, so we need to do this in the CLI.

However, I cannot commit apply any of the changes.

committing configuration...

I've search the documentation off and on for a couple of hours and have found nothing. Is there a way to save the configuration when our devices are managed through Central?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 08, 2017 04:32 PM
    I haven't tried this but have you tried accessing the CLI via the GUI in central and see if let's you apply the change
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-can-we-access-the-Command-line-CLI-of-an-Aruba-Central/ta-p/180440

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 08, 2017 04:34 PM
    Hi Victor,

Yes, I have seen that article. I am fully able to get to the CLI. I can run any number of commands, but when I try to "Commit apply" to save those settings, I get the Configuration denied by Aruba Central management. Essentially, I stuck a read only mode.

Dennis Peabody
    IT Technician II | PAC Worldwide Corporation

15435 NE 92nd Street - Redmond, WA 98052

Phone: 425.202.4023 Cell: 425-559-5375

| dennis.peabody@pac.com | http://www.pac.com|

• 4.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 09, 2017 11:12 AM

You could consider creating a Template Group instead and configure the AP through templates/variables, that would allow you to configure any CLI command, but note that it is mutually exclusive with GUI so the AP would need the full config through Template instead.

Alternative would be to see if we can add a know in Central to manage this item via GUI.

• 5.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

• 6.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 09, 2017 04:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think unprovisioning the entire cluster is going to be a viable way to do this.

At this point, I guess I will just have to a create a NPS server for the sole purpose of authenicating this SSID.

• 7.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Jun 09, 2017 04:09 PM

Oh yes, the answer I shared was more for first time bringing up the cluster on Central.

Other option could be using template configuration group, if possible.

• 8.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 09, 2017 04:09 PM

If you disable the license on the AP, it will keep the config and go into Instant mode, allowing you to configure locally from CLI/GUI and continue to operate.

Wait until the AP is offline in central and delete it from monitoring, do the config changes and re-assign the subscription.

Central should now come up and ask if you want to import the exiting config into a new group, or overwrite from existing group - Choose import and you shuld be good to go, no need for down-time or reconfiguration, but you may want to try this out on a stand-alon AP first to make sure you get it right.

• 9.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Sep 04, 2019 12:27 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if after two years Aruba has a workaround to solve this problem? The options of unprovisoning or disabling the licenses of a production cluster on Aruba Central seem not to be good. Stuck with the same problem.

AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD#
    We now support CLI commit model, please type "commit apply" for configuration to take effect.
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD (config) # ipm
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD (ipm) # enable
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD (ipm) # exit
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD (config) # exit
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD# commit apply
    committing configuration...
    AP08_ZONA3P2_UNIVERSIDAD#

Regards,

Julián 

• 10.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Sep 04, 2019 12:36 PM
    I can't say what they have improved in the past two years, but we bought Airwave instead of Central (we were on trial).

You have to maintain it of course, but we are able to add most of our non-Aruba HPs, Comware based switches as well. Also, requires site to site connectivity, some SNMP or SNMPv3 configuration, but its not to bad.

Also, un-managing a IAP cluster takes about 15 seconds to do, and it adds back in about the same. Additionally, the complete GUI, with all options essentially mirroring what you find on the IAP itself, are present. I had found that there were glaring omissions about options just not available in Central as of my original post.

• 11.  RE: Configuration denied by Aruba Central management

Posted Sep 04, 2019 11:37 PM

Yeah, I agree with you. AirWave is much better than Central. Aruba keeps upgrading Central (always I enter Central I see at the botton of the screen that Central is going to be upgraded, always), adding features (SD-WAN support, UC service subscription, etc.), instead of fixing simple things such as enable CLI commands that are not supported on the GUI, or sending an email alert when an AP goes down (yes, it can do it, but you have to wait at least 10 minutes before the alarm is sent, that's the smallest time can be set for this kind of alarm, 10 minutes!). Definitely Aruba Central is not an enterprise-class management and monitoring platform.

Regards,

Julián