Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuration lost after reboot.

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Configuration lost after reboot.

Posted Feb 01, 2012 04:51 AM

Hi Airheads,

Have anyone experienced where you have rebooted your controller and after it came up, most of the configuration are lost? We just experienced one, where in even the port configurations are lost. I'm very much sure that we have saved the configuration days before reboot through Web UI's "Save Configuration" and CLI's "Write Memory". Is there any way of knowing what is the reason why the configuration is gone, as our customer is asking for one. Thank you so much.

• 2.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 06:32 AM
    Type show boot to see the filename that the controller is booting from. That might have changed.

• 3.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 06:36 AM

Is this a stand alone controller?

• 4.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

Posted Feb 02, 2012 12:41 AM

Hi Colin, the "show boot" shows that it is in default.cfg. Even before it was rebooted it also showed as default.cfg.

Hi zjennings...nope, there is VRRP involved. But the controller that losts the configuration is the Master.

Another question i want to ask is... is there any faster way of restoring the configuration from a "show running-config" text file, rather than going to CLI and copy the commands one by one?

Lucky thing is that I have saved the "show tech" before my customer rebooted.

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2012 05:25 AM

Doing a "backup flash" is the best way to backup everything on a controller for later restoration.  

You might want to start logging to an external syslog server so that any changes or any errors get logged and support can have a clue what has happened.  You might want still want to open a TAC case so that they can see if there is anything that might want them to take any action.  What version of code is this, and under what circumstances was it rebooted?

• 6.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

Posted Apr 29, 2013 11:21 AM

We're with the same problem now.

We have 2 controllers (master and local).

After a power blackout, the master lost all configuration.

(Aruba3200) #show image version
    ----------------------------------
    Partition : 0:0 (/dev/hda1)

Software Version : ArubaOS 3.3.2.13 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)
    Build number : 20989
    Label : 20989
    Built on : Tue Mar 24 18:29:57 PDT 2009
    ----------------------------------
    Partition : 0:1 (/dev/hda2) **Default boot**
    Software Version : ArubaOS 5.0.3.0 (Digitally Signed - Production Build)
    Build number : 26207
    Label : 26207
    Built on : Tue Nov 30 08:18:12 PST 2010

(Aruba3200) #show boot
    Config File: default.cfg

Boot Partition: PARTITION 1

The local controller is working well and has AOS 5.0.3.0.

Is there a way to synchronize local config to master config?

• 7.  RE: Configuration lost after reboot.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2013 11:41 AM

You can make that local a master and the make the old master a local to the new master.  The config will be copied over.

I want to say open a support case about your issue.  If the controller was writing to flash when the controller went down, there is a *chance* of corruption.  Please have support rule that out.