Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring High Availability

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Configuring High Availability

Posted Feb 18, 2014 10:27 PM

Hello,

I was attempting to configure high availability on 6.3.1.2 and I had it all configured correctly.

I had a 7210 local controller set as the active controller with 233 APs connected to it.  don't plan on adding many more.

I have these other controllers available for use.

3600 - master

3400 - local

3400 - local

3400 - local

3400 - local

Can I use these other controllers as standby to cover all of my APs?

The 3600 and 2 3400's should give me a total of 256 APs for HA.  Does it work this way?

Also when I had just the 3600 connected I had a number of APs with the "S" flag when I did a show ap database.

Does this just mean that HA was working?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Configuring High Availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 02:34 AM

You'll need to aps split into separate ap-groups and separate ap-system-profiles such that the backup-lms points to the different controllers.

Personally, I would try to leave the master 3600 free from APs since you have the capacity with 4 x 3400 controllers.

Provision 60 aps into each group, with the backup-lms to point to a 3400.

I've not setup the HA feature with 6.3, but it should work with the above implemented.

• 3.  RE: Configuring High Availability

Posted Feb 19, 2014 06:51 AM
    That is actually the way I have it set up currently.

What is the difference between this setup and the high availability with fast failover?

• 4.  RE: Configuring High Availability

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 06:59 AM

Normally when an AP failsover to the backup-lms, it has to go through the process of building the GRE tunnel before it can operate.

With the HA or high-availability feature of 6.3 enabled, the APs will build this second tunnel to the backup-lms, thereby enabling it to come up quickly with minimal downtime in the event of a failover.

The S flag on the controller means that AP is in standy mode but has already built the GRE tunnel.