Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.

Posted Mar 26, 2015 10:38 PM

Hello,

Please slap me down if I haven't researched this properly, but I'd like some suggestions on how to configure Microsoft NPS on Server 2012, with Aruba W-AP225's, so that when a client connects through WPA2-ENT they will NOT be allowed on the network unless the certificate is pre-installed. I'm also trying to get this work with a mixed environment of Windows 8.1 workstations and OSX 10.10 Macs

I've spent a lot of time trying find answers and experimenting but just seem to come up blank on getting it to work. Keeping in mind, my NPS skills are basic.

If there's anyone out there to point me in the right direction it would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

MickTheTech

• 2.  RE: Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 10:41 PM

If you are using EAP-TLS (Client-Side Certificates, instead of username and password), you can do this.  If you are using EAP-PEAP (username and password), you cannot.  Only the client can check the server's certificate when using PEAP.  The server cannot check the client's certificate, because the client does not have an identifying certificate in PEAP.

• 3.  RE: Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.

Posted Mar 26, 2015 10:46 PM
    This was something I was beginning to suspect, but my skills as they are I
    wasn't too sure.

Is it possible to configure NPS to require both methods? Or is that just
    silly?

• 4.  RE: Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 10:59 PM
    The server can support two methods, but only a single method can be used by
    a client at a time.

• 5.  RE: Configuring Microsoft NPS to require the certificate before allowing access.

Posted Mar 26, 2015 11:01 PM
    Thanks so much mate, greatly appreciate the assistance.

Regards