Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring Multiple Controllers

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Configuring Multiple Controllers

Posted Jun 13, 2017 09:42 PM

I am have an evironment where we have four (4) controllers, (2) 6000 series, and (2) 7220. The (2) 6000 series controllers are stand alone, managed seperately, and the (2) 7220 series controllers are in a Master - Local cluster. Each controller has has AP groups for different buildings and areas on campus, i.e., administrative building APs are on one of the 6000 controller, and dorm APs are on the other 6000.

In the wireless network, I want to redesign and create a new WLAN and role for guest access, but want to know how or if I can somehow copy part of the config from one controller to another controller? I already have (1) of the 6000 series controllers setup the way I want, but don't want to do all the work all over again on the other controllers. Is there a way to take what I did and tranfer to the other controllers?

In addition, i just found out that we have Airwave. It has been touched in years, so probably isn't on the latest release, and i or any one on the current teams has ever used it before. Not sure if it is any value to me at this point, but is this an option to configure the controllers the way i want? 

• 2.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2017 06:21 AM

Traditionally, you would have a master controller that would have the global configuration and the local controllers would synchronize the global config with the masters.  They would have to run the same major version of code to make that happen, however.  You also would have the option to run Airwave to synchronize the configuration between controllers, but again, they would have to have the same major version of code between them to do that.  Unfortunately, since you could not be on the same major version of code with the 6000 series and the 7000 series controllers, your only option would be to manually copy your configuration.  A long-term goal would be to get all of your controllers upgraded to the 7000 series so you can do master/local or synchronize them with Airwave.  A document on how to do configuration synchronization with Airwave is here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=14107

Again, if you have multiple controllers in a master/local relationship, you do not need Airwave to synchronize your configuration; the global configuration will synchronize automatically.

• 3.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers

Posted Jun 15, 2017 11:35 AM

I was afraid that is what needs to happen. I am in the process of trying to acquire updated controllers and the latest version of AirWave, but in the meantime, i will manually configure each controller. Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers

Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:08 PM

Is there a way to copy a part of the config from one controller to another controller? I wan to copy a WLAN and profile from one controller to the other controllers, not the entire config.

• 5.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:13 PM
    You can copy and paste the text, but that is the only way, really.

Starting from scratch would allow you to whittle things down to what you really need vs. what you had in the past..

• 6.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers

Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:29 PM

I just want to make sure i understand correctly since i never done this before. I've copied the running config from controller #1 and controller #2 to a text file my desktop. Do I now just copy what I need from controller #1 text file and paste it into controller #2 text file? Then do I just upload controller #2 config file back into the controller?

• 7.  RE: Configuring Multiple Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 04:05 PM

Please see the Lab Notes here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/14802/1/7200%20Lab%20Guide_v1.1.pdf on how to migrate from one controller to another...