Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Configuring an AP-105 as a dedicated air monitor

Is there documentation out there on how to configure an AP-105 as a dedicated air monitor. Running code 6.1.3.7 on a 3600 WLAN controller. Also, any gotchas to be aware of when configuring and deploying an AP in dedicated air monitor mode?

Regards,

Tony

Guru Elite

Re: Configuring an AP-105 as a dedicated air monitor

[ Edited ]

Please search the knowledgebase here http://support.arubanetworks.com/KNOWLEDGEBASE/tabid/133/Default.aspx

It will give you good information about air monitors...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

I had done several searches and continue to do so to find out how to configure the controller so that I can deploy an AP in the appropriate profile to be used as a decicated air monitor. So far I've only found an article on selecting Mode Aware Arm, but that allows the AP to function either as an AP for client access or air monitor. This isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer that the AP act as an air monitor only.

Regards,

Tony

Guru Elite

Okay..

Here is an article about the difference between Air Monitors and Regular Access Points:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/tb_air_monitors.pdf

Please refer to the thread here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Change-mode-from-Air-Monitor-to-AP/td-p/7790 to see how to change to Air Monitor and back to an access point.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

That was perfect!!! I had been in the 802.11g radio profile on the controller and totally missed the "Mode" drop down menu. Now I see what I have to configure. Sometimes things are staring you directly in front of your eyes and you still don't see it. Many thanks for that thread URL!!!

Regards,

Tony

Guru Elite

"Sometimes when you're so close, things are blurry" ---- unknown....

Good luck!

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor II

Hi,

Where do you configure the settings to allow a dedicated AM to become a backup AP in the event of neighbor AP failure as indicated in the pdf you referenced?

Guru Elite

That would be ARM mode aware. An access point would have had to be changed into an air monitor by mode aware to even be able to change back into an access point. Please know that ARM has a holdown time of 8 minutes, so even if it detects a topology change it will take at least 8 minutes to turn that air monitor into an access point.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: