Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Jun 17, 2016 03:06 AM
    I couldnt find a clear answer. I have a single IAP-215 running stand alone with its own virtual controller. Can i add a standard AP-215 (not IAP) and have it be controlled by the existing IAP?

• 2.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 17, 2016 03:15 AM
    No. You'll need a controller for the AP-XYZ.

• 3.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Jun 18, 2016 04:14 AM

Does that change if I have multiple IAP-215 ?

I found this which suggests a virtual controller can control other devices. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Instant%20User%20Guide%20-%20volumes/Virtual%20Controller.htm

"Virtual Controller

Aruba Instant does not require an external mobility controller to regulate and manage the Wi-Fi network. Instead, one IAP in every network assumes the role of virtual controller. It coordinates, stores, and distributes all the settings required to provide a centralized functionality to regulate and manage the Wi-Fi network. The Virtual Controller (VC) is the single point of configuration and firmware management.When configured, the virtual controller sets up and manages the VPN tunnel to a mobility controller in the data center.

The VC also functions like any other AP with full RF scalability. It also acts as a node, coordinating DHCP address allocation for network address translated clients ensuring mobility of the clients when they roam between different IAPs."

• 4.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Aug 17, 2016 09:32 AM

when you have multiple IAP's they will all join in a group (as long as they are on the same network) and be controlled by the virtual,  but they all must be IAP models.

• 5.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Dec 23, 2017 05:40 PM

Sorry to revive an old post - but does anyone have a list of controllers that will work with AP-215's?  I picked up some used ones (home use) and am not looking to spend a mint on a controller - but cannot find any useful information on which controllers will work with it.  Thanks in advance. 

• 6.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 23, 2017 09:58 PM

Are those campus APs or IAPs (Instant APS)?

• 7.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Dec 23, 2017 10:23 PM
    They're definitely not IAP's - that'd be much easier!. There's no broadcast ssid. There's a sticker on them that just says ap-215. They resolve a dhcp IP address that I can't ssh or http to. I also can't hit them on the console port. I'm fairly technical, (Exchange Admin by trade) I've just never managed an Aruba controller and have no idea what type of controller I need 3200/3400/651? Something I can find on eBay? I can't find any spec sheets or info on what is recommended. This is for home use, so I don't need anything super fancy, just don't want to waste time picking up a controller that won't work... on a side note, I have some RAP-108's IAP's that have Aruba OS, so I have a little experience with these...just need some info on controllers... :-). Thanks again!

• 8.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Dec 26, 2017 02:46 PM

So, could I pick up a 3200-8 (with 8 AP licenses) and get it to work (typically) or do I have have to have an active license with Aruba to make it functional?  ...what determines if the controller is able to manage wireless AC AP's?  Is that software based or hardware (within reason) limited in this case?  I don't mind throttled speed (I have a gig network and fiber) but I need to know if the controller will be able to manage them.  What is the most basic controller I could buy and/or licenses to get it functional?  I appreciate any input from anyone on this - references to information or straight information.  Thanks in advance.

• 9.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 26, 2017 03:16 PM

You would need a controller with at least a 1 AP license to control those access points.

The AP-215 datasheet here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP210Series.pdf

mentions that the minimum version of ArubaOS on the controller would  would be 6.4.2.0.

Screenshot 2017-12-26 at 14.06.59.png

Unfortunately, according to the end-of-life website here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/ the 3200 only supports up to ArubaOS 6.1.  You could get either a 3200XM, a 3400,3600, a 620 or 650 controller which would provide you the least expensive previous generation controller, but you would only be able to support APS up to ArubaOS 6.4.  Some of the newer APS require ArubaOS 6.5.x and above.  A chart with the minimum software requirements for APS is here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/66666/1/HPE%20Aruba%20AP%20Matrix%20-%20Public.pdf

The controller with the least capacity of all the modern controllers is the 7005 controller.

Long story short, if your needs are basic, you should only get IAP versions of APs, because they can function as controllers and do not require a hardware controller or require any licensing.

• 10.  RE: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

Posted Dec 26, 2017 04:19 PM

Hello Colin and thank you so much for your response!  Your information and links have been extremely helpful!  I will pick up one of those models of controllers and try my hand at getting it operational.  I will heed your advice and if these don't work out, replace them with IAP's instead. 

I had considered these (home use) and Ubiquiti's AP-AC's and Aruba seems to beat them, hands down in hardware, but not in cost.  I know they're not in the same class, but I was looking for something that would do what I was looking to do.  I've loved my RAP-108's from day-1 and is the primary reason I considered Aruba in the first place.  I don't mind the controller (have a network closet at home), just wasn't familiar with how the Aruba architecture works...  Your information has been most helpful and much appreciated!  Thanks again!