Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H

Posted Jan 04, 2018 04:44 AM

I'm setting up some AP groups for a bunch of 93H's for a customer.

In the AP group there are 5 available wired port config settings, enet0 (Ethernet interface 0 port configuration) to enet4. My question is if enet0 is the uplink port (which we always use it as) then what effect does having a wired port config for enet0 have? I'm assuming it doesn't have any effect as I haven't come across it as an issue before, but am curious, and this has some bearing on how I configure the customer's APs.

I noticed that  there is something called enet0-bridging - does the wired port config on enet0 only have an effect if this is enabled and the AP is part of a mesh?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2018 05:54 AM

Do not configure enet0, because that is the uplink. 

In an advanced scenario, you can bridge wired traffic from either the wireless or other wired ports to enet0.  You could configure enet0 as a trunk and bridge wired or wireless traffic to tagged VLANs on enet0.

In another advanced scenario, this can be used with mesh, with the radio being the uplink and you could send wired traffic on the AP93H through the mesh radio back to the controller.  Since the AP93H is a single radio device, it would rare to do mesh, especially since it is an indoor AP.

• 3.  RE: Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H

Posted Jan 08, 2018 10:44 AM

Thanks Colin,

In playing with this I noticed that vlan 1 seems to be dealt with differently from other vlans by the AP's switching component. If I use this wired AP profile on the AP downlink ports everything works as expected (248 is a VoIP vlan):

Wired AP enable Enabled
    Trusted Trusted
    Forward mode bridge
    Switchport mode trunk
    Access mode VLAN 2
    Trunk mode native VLAN 2
    Trunk mode allowed VLANs 2,248
    Broadcast Broadcast

The switchport config on the link to the AP has vlan 2 & vlan 248 tagged, with our AP management vlan untagged. I can plug my laptop in and it appears on vlan 2, and my VoIP phone works on vlan 248.

However the same profile with Vlan 1 configured as the native vlan instead of vlan 2 (and vlan 1 added to the allowed list) results in my laptop appearing on our AP management vlan (which is untagged on the link to the AP) rather than vlan 1. It seems to be impossible to tag vlan 1 on the link to the switch. Is this expected behaviour?

(Note I am using a 'shutdown' wired port config on the AP enet0 uplink)

PS I'm aware that it is not recommended to use vlan 1, but we have customers whose networks are reasonably old and some (as in this case) still use vlan 1.

• 4.  RE: Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2018 11:03 AM

The Native Vlan ID parameter in the AP system profile of the ap-group, decides what is the untagged vlan on the uplink.  By default it is 1.  You can change it to anything else.

• 5.  RE: Configuring wired ports on an AP-93H

Posted Jan 08, 2018 12:52 PM

Aha great - thanks, that's very useful