Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller IP for each VLAN

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted May 16, 2014 03:57 PM

When our original controller installation was done the tech created a layer 3 address on the controller for each of the VLANs that were trunked to the controller (AP VLANs, Client VLANs).  That L3 addresses on the controller are not being used as gateways for any of the wired or wireless clients.  Is there really any value in having a L3 address for each VLAN?  I couldn't find any documentation of it but perhaps there are some WIPS functionality that requires a L3 address for the controller on each VLAN that has APs or wireless clients in it?

• 2.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted May 16, 2014 04:01 PM
    There are a few things that need an IP on the interface, including captive portal redirection and IGMP. There are probably others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

• 3.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted May 16, 2014 04:07 PM

Thansk for the response.  Yeah I think you're correct that the captive portal subnet would need an IP.  I'm mainly interested in the other VLANs that simply house access points.

• 4.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted May 29, 2014 03:55 PM

Anyone know of any other reason?

• 5.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted May 29, 2014 05:13 PM

My thought is that you won't need them. I've had environments where there was a seperate Cisco L3 switch which handled all routing for all VLANs, however I still had a L3 address on the controller just for testing purposes. That way I could ping the controller for each VLAN just to verify connectivity.

• 6.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 06:15 PM

Are you dealing with any multicast? (VOD, Vocera, etc)

• 7.  RE: Controller IP for each VLAN

Posted Jun 09, 2014 04:59 PM

Nothing specific over wireless that I can think of.  perhaps some appletv crap?