Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller - Stateful SIP processing

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Controller - Stateful SIP processing

Posted Mar 20, 2018 07:20 AM

Hello guys,

We are implementing wireless IP phones system, which uses SIP protocol, in the network.

I have so far enabled shaping policy(WMM Traffic Management Profile) for voice traffic for respective AP profile. 

I have come across this setting in the Stateful Firewall page. It's about Stateful SIP Processing. Should I be enabling this checkbox or disabling this?

Will this affect the voice quality and performance?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2018 08:07 AM

Please see here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6_5_4_X_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/firewall.htm?Highlight=stateful%20sip

Unchecking it disables stateful sip processing.  Stateful sip processing monitors a sip conversation and opens up new ports for a conversation that typically begins on port 5060.  Disabling SIP processing would disable that new conversation and break calls.  Leave it enabled if you have SIP calls.

• 3.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing

Posted Mar 20, 2018 10:10 PM

I have already read the article before posting here, but I just couldn't understand the purpose of using it. In the article it says, 

Disables monitoring of exchanges between a voice over IP or voice over WLAN device and a SIP server. This option should be enabled only when there is no VoIP or VoWLAN traffic on the network.

So, is it just for monitoring? but again you said, 

Disabling SIP processing would disable that new conversation and break calls.  

So, back to my question again, would it really affect the overall voice quality or performance?

Thanks for your support!

• 4.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2018 10:28 PM

By default the checkbox is there (stateful sip processing is on).

You should only uncheck it if there is no voice traffic in the network (which means it will break it).

It would be unchecked for engineering reasons when you do not want to allow additional flows to be opened outside of the port 5060 flows that you initially allow.  There is no reason for a regular user to modify this, because it is not a typical use case, at all.

• 5.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2018 04:14 AM

I have tried disabling it, rebooted all the APs and found that I can't use the Voice Monitor section anymore. I guess the use is just for monitoring then. However, It does not break the calls.

• 6.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing

Posted Mar 20, 2018 08:18 PM
    how do you disable stateful sip processing in 8.2? There is no option for it as far as I can see

#AirheadsMobile

• 7.  RE: Controller - Stateful SIP processing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2018 09:03 PM

Why would you want to do that?