Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

Posted Apr 08, 2014 05:28 PM

Is there any support for Netflow, Sflow, or similar traffic flow protocol?  I realize some of this capability exists with AppRF and Airwave, but I'd like to be able to send traffic flows to a 3rd party Netflow collector where all the other flows are sent.

• 2.  RE: Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 06:17 PM

Compnerd,

There is no Netflow (proprietary) or Sflow support on Aruba controllers.  If you have a layer 3 switch that supports those, why don't you make those layer-3 switches the default gateway of your wireless clients and then support it that way?

• 3.  RE: Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 06:19 PM

I can't seem to find it, but there was an RFE for sFlow recently. We currently do what Colin suggested at the L3s on the distribution layer.

• 4.  RE: Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 07:01 PM

Tim,

The idea entry is IN-00000934 for Netflow/sFlow on the Mobility Controllers and idea entry IN-00001637 for the Mobility Access Switches.

Jay,

I need to ping PLM about the support on the Mobility Controllers since the idea comments and state seem to be in conflict.

Also, just a little correction about Netflow being proprietary, I would say it depends on terminology. Some people refer to IPFIX as Netflow v10 since it was based upon Netflow v9 even though it is an IETF standard.

Best regards,

Madani

• 5.  RE: Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

Posted Apr 08, 2014 07:34 PM
    In most cases the wireless clients default gateway works fine as the
    Netflow exporter, but in cases where there is wireless to wireless client
    communication, I don't have visibility of that in the collector. Not a huge
    deal, but I thought there might be some limited use for it.

Thanks for the clarification Madani. I wasn't sure about the version but I
    thought at some point Netflow had become open to other vendors.

• 6.  RE: Controller Support for Netflow or Sflow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2014 07:41 PM

Jay,
    Several router vendors emulate the payload formats of Netflow, namely v5 and v9. A common way this was done was by integrating cflowD into their platforms. However at the end of the day, Netflow would still be considered a proprietary format defined by Cisco. IPFIX originated in the standards body and as such is viewed as being an open standard.

Best regards,

Madani