Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller or Instant cluster?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Controller or Instant cluster?

Posted May 22, 2017 03:24 PM

Hi guys,

I know that the Instant APs have around 90% of features and possibilities of a controller, if not more. Some points like terminating a VPN tunnel for a RAP are not supported, but for a campus environment for example, what are the general points which lead to choose a controller based solution instead an Instant cluster?

For instance if my solution is around 50 APs and around 1000 devices, which are within the limits for an Instant cluster, why would I have to choose a controller based solution?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Controller or Instant cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2017 03:30 PM
    If you wanted to configure a single trunk between your layer 3 switch and your infrastructure instead of configuring trunks on 50 APs, you would choose a controller. If configuring 50 trunks is okay to you, you could save on the cost of a controller a d licensing by going with Instant.

• 3.  RE: Controller or Instant cluster?

Posted May 22, 2017 04:39 PM

Hi Colin,

Good point!

Hi guys,

Anything else to be considered based on your experience?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Controller or Instant cluster?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2017 09:37 PM

Those are the main decision points.  You could also have a hybrid controller/ instant network where instant is at a remote site and controller is at a campus sight.  Network design is the key determining factor.  Maybe others can chime in..

• 5.  RE: Controller or Instant cluster?

Posted May 25, 2017 10:03 AM

controller if you have money to burn. (eye watering)

I manage 14 clusters (200APs) with Airwave and a clearpass authentication server. I havent had a moment where I thougth **bleep** I wish I had a controller. setting up swich configs for VLANs isnt an issue. IAP cluster also dont have a single point of failure.