Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

Posted Apr 02, 2013 11:24 AM

I have a controller enable accounting fuction.

And I have a qustion about acct-terminate-cause

1.What different between Lost-Service and Idle-Time-Out?

2.If user click "Logout" buttom what type of acct-terminate-cause my accounting server recevie(User-Request or Admin-Reset,which one?)?

• 2.  RE: Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

Posted Apr 03, 2013 07:25 AM

Hi, ansonhsu!

Lost Service: Service can no longer be provided. For example the user's connection to the AP/Controller was interrupted.

Idle Timeout: The idle timer expired. The Idle timer value may be configured under: Configuration > Security > Authentication > Advanced on your mobility controller.

2013-04-03 13_14_51-Authentication Advanced.png

2. When the user clicks the logout button, the Acct-Terminate-Cause = User-Request

• 3.  RE: Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

Posted Apr 03, 2013 10:31 AM

Hi Nesvik,

Thanks your reply.

Is it a Lost Service if user turn off his wifi device manually? or no more connect to AP?

is it a Idle Timeout if user still connect on AP but no more user traffic send for 300 seconds?(if idle timeout timer is 300 seconds?)

• 4.  RE: Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

Posted Apr 04, 2013 05:26 AM

Hi.

Yes, lost service would be for example if the wifi device is turned off abruptly, or malfunctions. Another example would be if the AP that the client is connected to loses power.

Idle timeout would be if the user is still connected to the SSID but with no activity like you describe, yes

• 5.  RE: Controller sent Accounting Packets about acct-terminate-cause

Posted Apr 08, 2013 05:05 AM

Hi Nesvik,

One more question about the "Lost Service"

For example if the wifi device is turned off abruptly, or malfunctions. I could see the wifi device still in controller's user-table(#show user-table). The user session would be purge after it's session idle time out.

In this situation.  Is the accounting server still recevie "Lost Service" from controller?