Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 21, 2013 04:36 PM

I recently installed an Aruba wireless network using an Aruba 3600 controller with 802.1x authentication to Apple OSX Open Directory LDAP. Things were working good. The customer could take their Apple MACBook's and iPads and click on the 802.1x authenticated SSID. A box would pop-up asking them to log into the domain using their domain credentials and they would get connected. No further action was required.

The customer wanted the ability to map user roles to VLAN Pools which is now available in AOS 6.3.x. So I upgraded the controller to 6.3.0.1 and was able to map the user roles to the proper VLAN Pools. This part is fine.

The issue that the customer noticed is that they are no longer able to simply click on the 802.1x authenticated SSID and enter their domain login and password to get connected. We now have to manually go into the MACBook advanced wireless settings and set the EAP encryption types (both inner and outer) before these devices will connect.

My question is: What changed from AOS 6.1.3.6 to AOS 6.3.0.1 to cause this?

Thanks,

John

• 2.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 21, 2013 08:56 PM

Similarly, we are about to upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3 and are pouring through the release notes but would like to know of any known issues with this upgrade.  We are ordering some 200 series APs soon and want to bring up our code on the controllers.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:03 PM

@tail_rotor wrote:

Similarly, we are about to upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3 and are pouring through the release notes but would like to know of any known issues with this upgrade.  We are ordering some 200 series APs soon and want to bring up our code on the controllers.

Thanks

Tail_Rotor is there a specific feature that you need to upgrade to 6.3?  Would an upgrade to 6.2 be acceptable midpoint, then?

• 4.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:08 PM

Initially we were looking at upgrading to just 6.2 but was reading the 200 series APs and saw they were needing 6.3 unless we misunderstood.

• 5.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:10 PM

Yes, AP-22x require 6.3+

• 6.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:14 PM

We are looking to order the AP 224

• 7.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:17 PM

I am in the process of reading the 6.3 notes....I merely saw someone talking about upgrading and wanted to be alerted when something was discussed.  Thanks

• 8.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:12 PM

Yes they do require 6.3.  Please read the release notes for 6.3.0.1 to see if any of the known issues affect you.  Also, don't hesitate to open a support case so that they can review your logs.tar to see if there is anything you should be aware of.

• 9.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2013 09:00 PM

@jzawacki wrote:

I recently installed an Aruba wireless network using an Aruba 3600 controller with 802.1x authentication to Apple OSX Open Directory LDAP. Things were working good. The customer could take their Apple MACBook's and iPads and click on the 802.1x authenticated SSID. A box would pop-up asking them to log into the domain using their domain credentials and they would get connected. No further action was required.

The customer wanted the ability to map user roles to VLAN Pools which is now available in AOS 6.3.x. So I upgraded the controller to 6.3.0.1 and was able to map the user roles to the proper VLAN Pools. This part is fine.

The issue that the customer noticed is that they are no longer able to simply click on the 802.1x authenticated SSID and enter their domain login and password to get connected. We now have to manually go into the MACBook advanced wireless settings and set the EAP encryption types (both inner and outer) before these devices will connect.

My question is: What changed from AOS 6.1.3.6 to AOS 6.3.0.1 to cause this?

Thanks,

John

The question is, what else did you change?  Normally it is the supplicant (mac) that determines if connections are automatic or not...

• 10.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 25, 2013 07:10 PM

Seems my post was hijacked and my question was never answered. Aren't there any Aruba high level engineers acting as moderators that can help answer my question?

• 11.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2013 07:18 PM
    Your question is what changed? The answer is a great deal. Does it cause the problem you witnessed? That can only be answered by opening a support case to determine exactly what is happening.

Is the Mac failing on the radius server side due to a radius certificate change? Is there something incompatible that makes the Mac ask for credentials again? Opening a case is the best way to troubleshoot something specific like this.

• 12.  RE: Controller upgrade from 6.1.3.6 to 6.3.0.1

Posted Aug 25, 2013 07:48 PM

Ok. I'll open a case with TAC tomorrow and see if we can pinpoint what is happening. That was going to be my next step but wanted to post something on AH in case others experienced similar issues and might have know of some items to check.

Thanks.