Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Controllers as DNS servers

I noticed that our controllers (both master and locals) function as DNS servers.  Is there any reason they do this by default?  I'd like to turn it off, but I hear doing so requires a reboot of each controller, so I'm planning on putting an ACL on their inbound interfaces to block DNS.  Just wanted to post and make sure there isn't some functionality I'm destroying by blocking udp 53.  Thanks!

Retired Employee

Re: Controllers as DNS servers

Does your DHCP server provide the IP address of the controller as the DNS server? 

Client would not send DNS queries to the controller unless they are configured to do so.

Are your controllers acting as DHCP servers? If yes, then what IP address are configured under "dns-servers"? Also, please post the  output of command 

show ip dhcp database 

--

HT 

--
HT
MVP

hi all,

can aruba controller act as DNS serveur or not ?!

Regards.

Raouf CHAHBOUNE
ICT Network & Security Engineer
CCNP R/S | CCNA Security | ACMP|ACDX

[If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.]
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Yes, if you have ip domain-lookup configured on the controller, and if you have a dns server defined on it, as well. (ip name-server x.x.x.x)

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: