Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Convert local to standalone

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Convert local to standalone

Posted Mar 09, 2012 04:41 PM

I am looking to convert a local controller to standalone.

If I use the wizard, will it retain all the AP/Group/profile/Userdb data, or essentially wipe the config? ( I want it to retain everything except being a local)

Or is there a simpler way to do it via the cli?

• 2.  RE: Convert local to standalone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2012 04:44 PM

Go to Configuration and change the Controller ROLE from Local to master and reboot.

• 3.  RE: Convert local to standalone

Posted Mar 09, 2012 06:38 PM
    Thanks!

So for the APs that are currently hanging off this local controller, but managed by a different master ( which I now want to be managed by this one when it becomes a master)...

I assume after rebooting the controller, I would reprovison all those APs from the old master, with the appropriate new master address?

• 4.  RE: Convert local to standalone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2012 06:53 PM

@Timothyj wrote:
    Thanks!

So for the APs that are currently hanging off this local controller, but managed by a different master ( which I now want to be managed by this one when it becomes a master)...

I assume after rebooting the controller, I would reprovison all those APs from the old master, with the appropriate new master address?

The answer is, it depends.

To change that master to a local, that means it has to reboot and consequently, all of the APs connected to it have to rebootstrap.  The key to this is how those APs find their way to that local in the first place....  Do they use DNS to find the master controller, and then get redirected to the local because of their AP-group?  If that is the case, the local should reboot as a master and all of those APs should find it using the LMS-IP address that the master has for those APs in that ap-group.

If the APs are statically configured with ip addresses, then they should also be able to find that "New" master.  To find out if they are statically provisioned (if the ip address of the local is in the flash of the AP), you can go to configuration> wireless> AP Installation.  Put the checkbox in one of the APs, then click on provision.  Go down and see if there is static master ip address in the "Discovery" box.  If it points to the new master, you should be fine.  If not, you might still need to find out from the person who configured it, how those APs find that controller.

Last but not least, if that local controller relied on the master controller for any local users, like guest, or a RAP whitelist, you would need to copy those off of the master and over to the new master.

Since this is a big change, you could and should open a support case to make sure all your bases are covered for such a big change.

• 5.  RE: Convert local to standalone

Posted Mar 09, 2012 07:32 PM
    The APs have DHCP addresses and use DNS to find the master. They're assigned to the local from the settings in the AP group.

So I gathered they should find their LMS, but I know in the provisioning dialog there's also a field to set a master. I wasn't sure if that needs to be set and the AP's reprovisoned so that I can make any changes to them from the new master going forward.

• 6.  RE: Convert local to standalone
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2012 07:39 PM

@Timothyj wrote:
    The APs have DHCP addresses and use DNS to find the master. They're assigned to the local from the settings in the AP group.

So I gathered they should find their LMS, but I know in the provisioning dialog there's also a field to set a master. I wasn't sure if that needs to be set and the AP's reprovisoned so that I can make any changes to them from the new master going forward.

The APs should go to the master controller, and then find the new master based on the AP-group.  To change the behavior of those APs, you can add the DHCP Options 43 and 60 on the local subnets of those APs to override the DNS settings and point it to the new master controller.

In the provisioning dialog there is a place where you can set the master, but you would have to do the APs, one by one, and that provisioning dialog will hardcode the new master's ip address into those APs.  That is good and bad.  It is good, because the APs will then find their new master controller consistently.  It is bad, because if your topology changes and you cannot bring a usable controller up at that ip address later, you will have to grab your console cable an reprovision all of those APs by hand.  Being able to use DNS or a DHCP option for APs to find a controller and then being able to manipulate either of those parameters when there is a topology change is a great advantage.

• 7.  RE: Convert local to standalone

Posted Mar 09, 2012 10:01 PM

You're right. I don't want anything hard coded if I can avoid it.

We were thinking of using DNS Views to send those AP's ( or new AP's on those subnets) to the new Master, but DHCP options sound like a better choice

• 8.  RE: Convert local to standalone

Posted Mar 11, 2012 09:49 AM

This is done. Thanks for the help!

• 9.  RE: Convert local to standalone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2012 09:52 AM

Glad to hear it!