Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

Posted Mar 26, 2018 03:52 PM

Hi experts,

I have some new IAPs that I have to convert to CAPs because they are going to be managed by a controller. My idea was to convert the IAPs in my office, just set the controller IP address and click on convert button. Then send the IAPs to the customer site where the controller is, install the APs and then the APs would find the controller, download the image and so on.

The problem is when I set the controller IP address and click on convert, a pop up window appears because the controller is unreachable, and the AP continues in Instant mode.

iap_to_cap.png

Then, do I need to convert the IAP to CAP in the customer site where the controller is? If so, is there anyway to convert the IAP to CAP by setting the controller IP address and the AP becomes a CAP, even when the controller is unreachable?

My idea is convert the IAPs to CAP, and then send the converted CAPs to customer site ready to only install them. Please help.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

Posted Mar 26, 2018 04:48 PM

Hi guys,

By the way, my APs are IAP-315 running 6.5.4.3.

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:21 PM

You should have a smaller controller in your staging lab with the same version of code.  Use that to convert access points before deployment.

• 4.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

Posted Mar 27, 2018 09:44 AM
    Hi Colin,

Good idea, I will use my lab controller for that. But should my lab controller have the same code of the customer controller? If they have different code, when the AP connects to the customer controller will download its image, right?

Regards,
    Julián

• 5.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 09:53 AM

It will take longer after deployment if it doesn't have the same code, yes.

• 6.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

Posted Mar 27, 2018 09:56 AM
    Hi Colin,

You mean it will take longer because the AP takes some time of downloading the new image, right? But that's few minutes, right?

Regards,
    Julián

• 7.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2018 10:01 AM

The AP would take longer downloading the new image after you deploy it, yes.  How long that takes depends on the connection between the AP and the controller.  If you have alot of access points to do, the  extra time can add up, quickly.

• 8.  RE: Converting IAP to CAP with controller offline

Posted Mar 27, 2018 10:10 AM
    Hi Colin,

OK, good point, I will take it into account. Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Julián