Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Hi,

We're having some problems with connectivity drops (severely intermittent pings at random as an example) with some devices and while debugging I noticed some messages about IP Mobility, so I thought I'd try disabling Mobile IP and check out the results. So far, the devices in question haven't had any issues (famous last words?).

Background -

AP68 and AP61.

802.11g clients using WPA-PSK.

Most of the config is using default profiles.

I can give more specifics if required, but all I'm after really is an expert point of view, could disabling Mobile IP in the VAP give any benefit to a client in bridge forwarding mode?

Aruba Employee

Re: Could Mobile IP cause connection issues with Wireless Clients?

Is there any need for IP Mobility? How many controllers, APs, and VLANs?

Thanks,

Zach Jennings

Hi,

There's no need to have it enabled, there's no requirement for devices to cross subnets/vlans so I can disable it. We have a single M3 module, the vlans are local to the location of the AP (assume 1 AP per geographical location and approx 200 locations) and all in bridge mode. So we have the same vlan number at each site. Is it recommended to disable it if it's not required? If so, for what reason?
Guru Elite

Adam@CCS wrote:
Hi,

There's no need to have it enabled, there's no requirement for devices to cross subnets/vlans so I can disable it. We have a single M3 module, the vlans are local to the location of the AP (assume 1 AP per geographical location and approx 200 locations) and all in bridge mode. So we have the same vlan number at each site. Is it recommended to disable it if it's not required? If so, for what reason?

It does not play a part in bridged mode. 

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks all for the replies -

That's exactly the answer I was expecting, so I can't explain the improvement. I'll continue to monitor as I suppose it could just be a fluke, but I think going forward I'll disable Mobile IP on bridge mode VAPs (even if it is just a placebo!)

Hi,

I've just been looking to see if there's a new release of OS5 and come across this in the release notes for 5.0.4.4

Bug ID Description
In some cases, CPSEC AP’s and RAP’s configured with a bridge VAP might experience repeated
crashes due to a kernel panic. This kernel panic is caused by the code that handles client mobility
in bridge mode.
Workaround:
None.

I'm a bit confused by the terminolgy in use sometimes, is this/could this be related to my original question?

Guru Elite

Adam@CCS wrote:

Hi,

I've just been looking to see if there's a new release of OS5 and come across this in the release notes for 5.0.4.4

Bug ID Description
In some cases, CPSEC AP’s and RAP’s configured with a bridge VAP might experience repeated
crashes due to a kernel panic. This kernel panic is caused by the code that handles client mobility
in bridge mode.
Workaround:
None.

I'm a bit confused by the terminolgy in use sometimes, is this/could this be related to my original question?

It very well could be.  Please open a case so that it can be confirmed in your specific case.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Will do, thanks.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: