Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

Posted Feb 09, 2014 06:43 AM

Hi Guys,

09-02-2014 13-39-42.jpg

I have a short question regarding the configuration of DHCP helper when using trunk port to the external dhcp server.

Do i need to configure in each VLAN the dhcp helper VLAN1 ip address or the ip address of the DHCP helper  in the specific VLAN?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Me

• 2.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:34 AM

In Each VLAN that you want to provide DHCP, you need to configure a helper address pointing to an external DHCP server.

• 3.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:37 AM
    The IP of the extranl server on vlan1 or the IP of the extranl dhcp server on that same vlan ?
    Its two different IP'S

• 4.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:40 AM

You only have one DHCP server, ip address 1.1.1.1.  On each VLAN that you want that server to work on, you need to configure:

config t

interface vlan x

ip helper-address 1.1.1.1

interface vlan y

interface vlan z

You can either do that on the controller, OR on the device that is the router for VLAN x, y or z.

• 5.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:43 AM

Thanks

For that  i aware....

But the DHCP SERVER got an IP on each VLAN,not only in VLAN 1....

For example:

Capture.PNG

DHCP SERVER ADDRESS ON VLAN 95 is 10.97.0.2 | and on VLAN 100 it's 10.20.0.2...

do u understand my question?

• 6.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:44 AM

If the DHCP server has an ip address on each VLAN, then you DONT need a helper address statement in those VLANs.  It should not be done like that, however.....

• 7.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:45 AM
    Thanks (Love u'r fast answers )

• 8.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:47 AM

You are welcome.

You should not need an ip address, because the DHCP server should be able to see the DHCP broadcast in those subnets and respond to them.  You only need a helper address if the ip address of the DHCP server is not in the same vlan and it needs to be "helped" to see DHCP broadcasts.

• 9.  RE: DHCP Helper question | Trunk port to the external DHCP SERVER | Multiple Vlans

Posted Feb 09, 2014 07:49 AM
    GOOD INFO | GOOD TIP