Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Lease - Probe

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  DHCP Lease - Probe

Posted Jul 17, 2013 01:15 PM

Hello -

Just curious if the internal DHCP server on an Aruba 3200 running AOS 6.1.3.3 probes to see if the IP is in use before assigning it?  I am currently in a situation where our Guest DHCP pool is being depleted and i often have to go in and clear the bindings.  We are working to move this off to a dedicated DHCP server, but until then i wanted to know if we will run into issues with IP conflicts when clearing bindings?

Thanks in advance.

LGZ 

• 2.  RE: DHCP Lease - Probe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2013 01:17 PM

Does NOT ping ahead to see if the ip address is in use.

• 3.  RE: DHCP Lease - Probe

Posted Jul 17, 2013 01:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!  I currently have the lease time set to 1 hour...I have read people setting this to as low as 15 min.  Although this would be helpful for the average iPod/iPhone user checking Facebook status, etc.  How would this affect users with laptops running applications that require a long term connection i.e., email, etc.?

Thanks again cjoseph.

• 4.  RE: DHCP Lease - Probe
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2013 01:23 PM

That would only mean that those devices would request an ip address more frequently (50% of the lease time, as per the RFP). Besides that, it should not be a problem.

• 5.  RE: DHCP Lease - Probe

Posted Jul 17, 2013 01:24 PM

Thank you!