Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP assignement to a Guest WiFi

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  DHCP assignement to a Guest WiFi

Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:47 AM

Hello,

So here's my problem,

I have a Aruba Instant IAP 103 with 2 different SSID, one for employees and one for guest. The IP assignement for the employees is managed by the DHCP of the entreprise.

And I wanted to create a DHCP for the guest WiFi in the VLAN 2 for example.

In the Network configuration I chose the Virtual Controller Managed option for IP assignement and created a Distributed, L3 DHCP scope with VLAN 2, the IP range I wanted and the Google DNS. Go back to the Client VLAN assignement and assigned to the custom pool I just created.

When I connect to the guest WiFi, no address are assigned (still got the one from my company WiFi).

What did I miss?

If I was not very clear please ask for additionnal informations, 

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: DHCP assignement to a Guest WiFi

MVP
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 07:48 AM

if you received an ip address from your employee vlan I'm guessing your guest clients get dumped in that vlan.

So a few questions:

How is the switch port configured to which your AP is connected?

What vlan do you intend to use for the employee and the guest networks?

How are the vlans configured for both networks? Default? Satic?

• 3.  RE: DHCP assignement to a Guest WiFi

Posted Jan 23, 2018 07:56 AM

Thanks for your answer but I found the solution to my problem. I just switched to default in the Client VLAN assignement instead of the one I created for this purpose. I didnt quite understood that the AP created the guest VLAN and that there was no need to create another one.

Once I figured that out, I got the IP from the correct pool form the DHCP.

• 4.  RE: DHCP assignement to a Guest WiFi

MVP
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 08:06 AM

Glad you got it fixed.

Just keep in mind your guests are now being NAT'ed across your employee vlan so build your access rules accordingly!

More info: http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_654_Webhelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/CaptivePortal/ConfWLANGuest.htm%3FTocPath%3DUG%2520topics%7CCaptive%2520Portal%2520for%2520Guest%2520Access%7C_____2