Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP messages being flooded

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  DHCP messages being flooded

Posted Feb 19, 2018 08:33 AM

Hi,

After upgrading my 7220 from 6.5.1.7 to 6.5.1.10, I see an huge amount of continues DHCP messages being flood in the controller.

When doing a 'show log network all', I get the following output:

|dhcpdwrap| |dhcp| Received DHCP packet from Datpath, Flags 0x42, Opcode 0x5a, Vlan xxx, Ingress pc1, Egress vlan xxx, SMAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Does/did anyone experience the same?

• 2.  RE: DHCP messages being flooded

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2018 09:08 AM

Make sure you don't have a loop in your network.

Type "show cpuload current" to see if the CPU is high.

• 3.  RE: DHCP messages being flooded

Posted Feb 19, 2018 12:23 PM

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply.

Just checked the cpu load, nothing wrong here:

user 0.5%, system 1.8%, idle 97.7%, iowait 5667

I've checked other DHCP stats but nothing unusaul from my point of view:

(xxx) #show ip dhcp data

DHCP disabled

(xxx) #show ip dhcp statistics

DHCPv4 disabled; DHCPv6 disabled

DHCP Pools
    ----------
    Network Name  Type  Active  Configured leases  Active leases  Free leases  Expired leases  Abandoned leases
    ------------  ----  ------  -----------------  -------------  -----------  --------------  ----------------

Current leases          0
    Total leases            10240

NOTE: To make a DHCPv6 pool active, ensure that the pool name is added in vlan interface

(xxx) #show ip dhcp binding   

(xxx) #show ip dhcp vlan   

DHCP User Table
    ---------------
    VLAN  ADDR            MASK             OPtion-82
    ----  ----            ----             ---------
    xxx   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  255.255.255.0    Disabled

Any other suggestions? As far as I've noticed this message wasn't there in the previous release. Could be either the message wasn't there or the message was there but no being reported in the logging.

• 4.  RE: DHCP messages being flooded

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2018 03:43 PM

That logging message has to do with DHCP traffic observed, not served up by the controller.  If the controller simply is on a wired VLAN where it can see DHCP traffic, you will see that message.  It is not cause for alarm.

• 5.  RE: DHCP messages being flooded

Posted Feb 20, 2018 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply Colin.

I'm aware the messages are only observed by the controller, it's just that I didn't notice them in the previous code and now there is a large portion to be found in the log which concerned me a little bit.

As long as it doesn't impact the controller to much, it is of good use knowing what is going on regarding DHCP behaviour.

Still investigating the root cause why several systems keep requesting for DHCP instead of once and using that.