Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP renew issues from some clients

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  DHCP renew issues from some clients

Posted May 11, 2012 04:43 PM

Hello. We have been working through some connectivity issues, roaming and the like. I have recently upgraded our 3000 controllers to the newest 6.1.3.1 AOS. The b speeds have always been disabled and we are not using “Local Probe Request Threshold”. N is disabled on the 105 AP’s because of pauses or hangs that would occur and were very noticeable with citrix applications. Just this week I did the following: Band steering is enabled. Drop boradcasts/multicasts is enabled along with converting ARP to unicast.

Before these changes one of the techs found that (on the clients here was working on) the windows event log would show unsuccessful attempts to renew DHCP and sometimes would lead to a disconnection. This would occur much more frequently than the 8 day lease should cause, sometimes over 50 a day. We are still early into looking into this as another part of our overall wireless issues and have not located it yet to a specific location or hardware type. What I am confused about is why the PC is making so many DHCP renew requests. Does this point to the client thinking it lost/regained network connection so it requests to reuse it’s IP? Just curious if anyone has seen this behavior, or if it is to be expected if we are having some connectivity issues.

Thanks,

Levin

• 2.  RE: DHCP renew issues from some clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2012 07:31 PM

The first thing I would do is upgrade my client drivers.

The second thing I would do is make sure that that my permit rule for DHCP is not "user any service dhcp permit", but "any any service dhcp permit"

• 3.  RE: DHCP renew issues from some clients

Posted May 14, 2012 12:30 PM

They are using the newest drivers available now although this is a 3 year old laptop, a Fujitsu 5010. I verified that the our DHCP rules are as you suggested.

I’ll keep looking for something…

• 4.  RE: DHCP renew issues from some clients

Posted May 18, 2012 02:31 PM

More on the DHCP issue... This is for a different model of laptop. From out log server I see this repeating pattern of the below SNMP message at the same time as a DHCP renew request. These renew requests do not coinside with half lease time. If I look at the client in the in the contoller it shows that it has been associated to an AP for over a day but I see several of these same repeating patterns.

What are some good commands that I could use help look into this further or look at what the client is doing?

capture.jpg

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: DHCP renew issues from some clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2012 05:30 PM

turn on logging for that client.