Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP requests during Roaming

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 03, 2015 08:30 PM

Hello,

I've been working on a client disconnect issue with Aruba TAC for a few weeks now. I notified them of some findings i found today while looking at our DHCP server which is Infoblox.

While troubleshooting with a client as this user roamed around a hospital wing I noticed his device was sending DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACK's between the DHCP server. I compared it to another user who was stationary and connected to 1 access point. I then had a 3rd user try the same thing and noticed a similar pattern. As he roamed around it seemed like his machine was constantly sending DHCPREQUEST and DHCPACKs

Is this a normal pattern for Wireless roaming. These users are reamaining within the same SSID,Subnet and Wireless controller. I assumed that once the Device received it's DHCP address it would keep the address as long as it was staying connected and would only ask for an IP when the client came back online and sends a DHCPDISCOVER.

• 2.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 09:30 PM

- What kind of device is this?

- Are you using encryption?

• 3.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 03, 2015 09:45 PM

Colin,

These are all Windows 7 devices connecting using WPA2 Enterprise with Mac Authentication.

• 4.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 09:47 PM

It seems like mac authentication is occurring every time it roams.  Did you try it without mac authentication?

• 5.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 03, 2015 09:52 PM

Colin,

I haven't tried it with MAC authentication. Do you think that is normal operation for Mac Authentication in regards to roaming? We are doing Mac authentication with a Cisco ACS server. I may take a look at those logs and see if i'm seeing the same amount of Mac Authentication.

I would think that once authenticaed on to the wireless network and put into the proper role that Mac Authentication is done at this point. Does it re-authenticate evertime it roams?

We have had Mac authentication with Aruba and ACS as the Authentication server for many years now. 

• 6.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 09:57 PM

It depends.  Does the mac authentication return a VLAN, role or a Role with a VLAN?

• 7.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:09 PM

The Mac Auth Returns a Role. 

• 8.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2015 10:11 PM
    If a device does not support opportunistic key caching, it does a full authentication on each roam.

• 9.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 04, 2015 10:46 AM

Colin,

Thanks I spent this morning reading up a little bit on PMK and OKC. what commands can I use to view logs on a station and see if it's infact doing a full 802.1x as it roams between access points? I'm assuming Windows 7 supports OKC but the question i need to find out is if it's enabled on the client side. I checked my controller and it's enabled by default.

• 10.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2015 11:07 AM

That would be "show auth-tracebuf".  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-do-the-different-numbers-mean-in-the-show-auth-tracebuf/ta-p/177860

The other thing is if the role that you return to the device has a VLAN assigned that could force a link up/down event for that device, so a DHCP renewal would be expected.

My last piece of advice is to return the the Aruba-User-Vlan attribute via radius instead of sending back a role that has a vlan assigned.

• 11.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

Posted Apr 04, 2015 11:21 AM

Colin,

Thanks for this info i'll take a look and do some more research. I checked again and it looks like the Role does not return back a vlan. The VLAN's the users are assigned to are the VLAN's we have assigned to that particular SSID. 

I know there are other SSID's that we do have a VLAN assigned by the Role but not for this particular SSID which seems to be where the issue is. This SSID happens to be our main production issue doing 802.1x with a Windows 7 deployment.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help

• 12.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2015 11:23 AM
    Well,

If the auth-tracebuf for that client shows the four way handshake, that means it is doing a full reauth and does not support OKC.

• 13.  RE: DHCP requests during Roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2015 01:12 PM