Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Dense deployment with APs 105

Hi,

We have a dense deployment at our college with AP 105 in almost every classroom. What I have noticed it since (recently)  we have mounted more APs the overall goodput has been decreased to 20 mbps or sometimes to 8 mbps even lower sometimes as more and more devices are connected. Before that we used to have goodput of upto 270 mbps sometimes.

Here I am looking for some good practice advice or basic tuning of network. We have couple of AP 61 in our network too but they are in different building and can't interefere with AP 105 though on the same master controller. Our controller is running OS version 6.1.3.9. and model is 3400.

No survey has been done and I joined this organization recently and at the moment I am not in a position to conduct survey due to work load but I have a plan to do it soon. But for now I am looking for some help from you guys to tweak my network to get better performance.

Thanks in anticipation.

Guru Elite

Re: Dense deployment with APs 105

Do you have Airwave deployed in your network?

How many wireless networks are you broadcasting?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Nope. Airwave is not deployed.

We have four SSIDs.

Thanks

Guru Elite

Without Airwave we will not have any historical data to understnd where you are, and if you make changes, the result.

Without airwave you can look at your dashboard under channel utilization at a time when it is not busy to determine how you are doing.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Yeah we can't afford at the moment to have Airwave license and deploy it.

Actually our APs are not mounted on ceiling thus it is difficult to determine the coverage and transmit power needs. The people before me has established this network and I am trying to increase the performance of wireless.

Any more ideas?

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

You should get an evaluation version of Airwave.  It lasts for 90 ays and it is free.

You need to look at the dashboard on the controller under channel utilization to see what you numbers are when the building is empty to baseline the network.  4 SSIDs is too much for a dense network and will kill your throughput.

Please read the article here http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 for more ideas.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor II

I bet this is caused by co channel interference. The controller is good at picking channels based on current conditions, but it is better to plan out your 2.4 ghz channels manually. In every single poorly performing network that I have tuned - manual 2.4 channel selection ends up running better.

Print out your floor plans and mark all your AP locations. Then start assigning 1,6,11 channels (the only three non competing channels in 2.4) so that APs on the same channel are furthest away from each other.

Keep in mind signal bleeds up and down a floor in many cases.

You may find that turning off some of the APs will actually improve things.

If you mark all of your APs on a floorplan I would be happy to draw up a channel plan for you.
Guru Elite

canucklehead,

Without knowing how many ssids, what channel utilization and what power the access points are at currently, isn't it too soon to be turning off access points or setting manual channel and power?  Wouldn't we have to make sure that drop broadcast and multicast is on, and that the access points are spaced correctly?  If the dashboard shows interference in a certain specific number of access points, shouldn't we be checking for that first, as well?

Colin Joseph

Very good points, and I do not disagree. And furthermore, your suggestions are easier to start off with. What stood out for me is that there is an AP is almost every classroom. In those high density setups I usually end up statically setting at least some of the radios.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: