Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 29, 2012 11:01 AM

Hi 1st post, I'm in the process of planning deployment of a  2nd 3600 controller. We are adding for increased capacity and redundancy. Currently our AP's are deployed over multiple logical segments, 10.x.x.x. & 172.x.x.x.. I'm not sure how best to proceed. Would creating multiple VRRP interfaces relative to the respective logical segments work? Or would it be better to consolidate the AP's on a single segment and have just that VRRP configuration? Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:06 PM
    I have a pair of controllers and I am moving towards a master/local configuration. What I do know is check out the VRDs for your implementation. I am going my way so I could get APs to register with both controllers at the same time for load sharing. Add for the APs in my setup the are all on other subnets and I have done the DNS entry for aruba-master so they know where to register (which is a vrrp address). If you go master/active master/standby no APs can register with the standby... Not sure if that helps?

• 3.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 29, 2012 12:15 PM

I completly agree with Nik. 

If you have 2 controllers, its good to do a Master/Local and load balance the APs. and use the LMS and Bkp-Lms or VRRP  or both  to switch between the controllers in case of redundancy. please check the the following VRD. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/VRD_Aruba%20Mobility%20Controllers_8.pdf

• 4.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 29, 2012 03:47 PM

I understand the load balancing with the Master/local and plan to take advantage of that. I've been reading the recommended VRD and it seems to indicate in an 802.1X authentication environment, which we are mostly, that having a single AP VLAN is recommended. Which would seem to answer my initial question. Does anyone have any other thoughts or input relative to configuring VRRP's on multiple segments with 802.1X authentication?

• 5.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2012 07:07 AM

@bjackson wrote:

I understand the load balancing with the Master/local and plan to take advantage of that. I've been reading the recommended VRD and it seems to indicate in an 802.1X authentication environment, which we are mostly, that having a single AP VLAN is recommended. Which would seem to answer my initial question. Does anyone have any other thoughts or input relative to configuring VRRP's on multiple segments with 802.1X authentication?

You do not need multiple VRRPs on multiple segments.  No matter what subnet an AP is in, it still contact the controller or controllers on the same ip address.  The controller does not need an ip address on every subnet where APs reside; the access points only need to be able to route to the management ip address of the controller.  Sometimes it is not practical to have an instance of the same VLAN at every location where you need an AP, so being able to put an AP on ANY vlan, as long as it can route to the controller keeps you from having to redesign your network to accomodate access points.

I hope this makes sense.

• 6.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 30, 2012 09:07 AM

Thanks, that did make sense and reduced my confusion. ;-).

What about the VRD recommending a single VLAN when using 802.1X authentication? We've been doing that over two VLAN's with acceptable performance to date.

• 7.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2012 09:18 AM

@bjackson wrote:

Thanks, that did make sense and reduced my confusion. ;-).

What about the VRD recommending a single VLAN when using 802.1X authentication? We've been doing that over two VLAN's with acceptable performance to date.

I would say it is there just to make is easier, but it will certainly work very well with the way you have it.

• 8.  RE: Deploying 2nd Controller with redundancy?

Posted Mar 30, 2012 01:10 AM
    Look into using vlan pools which tie into the vap configuration, and maybe if you can get these vlans routed by the core lan switch this may be a bit easier? Just a suggestion that might work for you?