Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

Posted Jun 19, 2017 12:22 PM

Hi,

I'm having an issue deploying ArubaOS 8 VMM to a VMware ESXi/vSphere environment. When I import the OVF and power on, I get an error "virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one" 2017-06-19 10_46_20-ArubaOS_MM_8.1.0.1_59688 - VMware Workstation.png

When I go down to 1 CPU, I get an error that mimium requirement is not met:

2017-06-19 10_39_52-ArubaOS_MM_8.1.0.1_59688 - VMware Workstation.png

• 2.  RE: Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 12:45 PM

The VMWare CPU config should be a minimum of 1 socket and 6 cores. What is the name / firmware version of the OVA you are downloading and importing?

• 3.  RE: Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 19, 2017 12:53 PM

Interesting. I am using ArubaOS_MM_8.1.0.1_59688.ova.

When I looked at my CPU settings it was set to 6 CPUs, 1 cores per socket. Setting it to 6 CPUs, 6 cores/socket the machine booted up fine.

Correct setting:

2017-06-19 12_51_11-vSphere Web Client.png

• 4.  RE: Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 01:09 PM

I just deployed a fresh OVA and it was 6 CPUS @ 6 Cores per socket. Might have been modified or someone changed it on your VM, not sure. Might be good to deploy one again (you don't have to keep it or even power it up) and see/make sure it deployed the same. 

• 5.  RE: Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

Posted Jul 21, 2018 10:32 AM

in case your trying to do this on an esxi standalone box and your web gui does'nt have the core's per socket setting available to you, you can go into advanced settings, and add this variable to your vm and it should work

cpuid.coresPerSocket = x

i used 3 and mine started working after that.

• 6.  RE: Deploying ArubaOS 8 MM on VMware virtual CPU sockets cannot be more than one

Posted Nov 14, 2022 12:34 PM
    For those getting this error when resizing the MM-VA. You need to edit the cores per socket as well as the number of CPUs. This would probably not be an issue when deploying OVA as the settings should be in the template.