Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying WLAN among >100 other networks

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Deploying WLAN among >100 other networks

MVP
    Posted Feb 17, 2016 04:45 AM

Yup, no typo there. I'm asked to deploy Aruba wireless in an area where I can detect over 100 other networks in the air, most of them with high SNR too.

Offcourse I'm doing 20MHz channels but other than that, anything I can do to give this network a chance of actualy being able to pass some traffic?

• 2.  RE: Deploying WLAN among >100 other networks
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 17, 2016 04:49 AM

- Hope that most of your clients support 5ghz.

- Hope that most of your clients support DFS channels

- Deploy DFS channels and make the 5ghz 6db stronger than the 2.4ghz band.

EDIT:

Honestly, "seeing" 100 other networks is not really a dealbreaker.  RF can travel hundreds of feet, especially in the 2.4ghz, so they can be observed with laptops, but less with mobile devices.  If clients are actively connecting to those foreign networks AND sending data AND YOUR clients can see the traffic, that is what could be problematic.  Most likely you can see these networks because the access points are powerful, but the clients might not be powerful enough to create more cochannel interference for you.

If these are 5ghz networks, the cochannel interference from these networks is less of a problem, because it does not propagate as far as the 2.4ghz band.  This gives you an opportunity to deploy on 5ghz to support your clients.

If these are instant APs, you would want to keep an eye on the RF utilization on any channels that you choose to deploy on by looking at the front page.  On controller-based access points, the dashboard will also give you an idea of what the RF utilization is on any access points you choose to deploy.

• 3.  RE: Deploying WLAN among >100 other networks

MVP
    Posted Feb 18, 2016 04:50 AM

Strangely, 5 GHz worked without any problem. Guess I got lucky that almost none of the SSID broadcasted had realy usage on them. 

In contrast, 2.4 was absolutely unusable. Some 2.4 Channels had a utilization of 90-100%. Not realy usable.

Thanks for the pointers