Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

Posted Mar 29, 2012 06:15 PM

I have a new deployment I'm looking at that would involve installing a 620 controller at multiple locations (5-6 sites). Each controller will be connected directly to the internet with a static IP address. The master will be a 3200 in our data center (DMZ). We need for the same 3 WLAN's configured at each site. I have a couple questions regarding this design. The vast majority of the traffic will be local to it's own site (HTTP/HTTPS...etc) and will be split-tunneled directly out the internet. As a result, I believe I would just make the LMS for AP Group the local controller's IP. The problems is...can I use the same AP group at each site if the AP's are not all using the same LMS.

The goal is for the users at these locations to be able to travel to each site and get the exact same WLAN's (SSID's), BUT be on a different sub-net for each site. For example:

Site 1:

WLAN A - 192.168.1.0 /24
    WLAN B - 192.168.2.0 /24
    WLAN C - 192.168.3.0 /24

Site 2:

WLAN A - 192.168.10.0 /24
    WLAN B - 192.168.20.0 /24
    WLAN C - 192.168.30.0 /24

• 2.  RE: Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2012 06:24 PM

Theoretically, if the controller at each site is providing DHCP for each individual site, that AP will automatically connect to that local controller, either using the DHCP option that is automatically inserted or a layer 2 broadcast if you do NOT have an LMS-IP in the AP-group (ap system profile to be exact) of that AP.  So in theory, you can make it the same ap-group for all.

Your second consideration is that each virtual AP has a VLAN in it, and that might or might NOT be relevant locally in the same ap-group.  What you can do, is use named VLANs in your virtual AP and then define the VLAN name to VLAN mapping locally at each controller.  In that way, each user will connect to a Virtual AP, but the VLAN will be locally significant.

I hope this makes sense.

• 3.  RE: Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

Posted Apr 02, 2012 01:25 PM

Thanks. it does make sense. I think the best long-term solution will be to go with seperate AP groups for each site. I want to keep it simple and having the AP's seperated out seams like it would be easier to keep straight.

On a side note, I'm having trouble confirming the configuration I'll need between the master & local controllers. In my scenario below, the two controllers are seperated by an internet connection. The controllers will each have a static public IP on one of the VLANs. Does the controller's IP address need to be the public IP or can it be one of the internal VLANs?

(Controller A IP 192.168.11.1) master - <PUBLIC IP A> - [INTERNET] - <PUBLIC IP B> - local (Controller B IP 192.168.1.1)

• 4.  RE: Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

Posted Apr 02, 2012 02:39 PM

You can disregard my previous question. i went ahead & made a new thread since its a totally different topic. Thanks

• 5.  RE: Designing Different LMS for Same AP Group - Multiple Controllers

Posted Apr 06, 2012 03:10 PM

Thanks for your contributions! Perhaps you could post a link to your new thread here to help increase any responses you may recieve? :)