Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

Posted Apr 07, 2016 04:52 AM

Hi

I am trying to disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.The voice clients are Android phones with a SIP client. They connect to the 2.4GHz radio.

I've disabled the 5GHz for the voice SSID.

I've unchecked all B radio rates below 12mbit. I've set the basic rate to 12 and the clients still connect.

I've also set the 802.11g Beacon Rate to 12 (perhaps not a good idea?).

I would expect to not see any rates below 12 in the dashboard clients overview for this SSID, but there are still a lot of 6, 7, etc connection speeds showing for the devices. Shouldn't the devices not refuse to connect under 12 Mbps? Should I do anything else to disable these low rates?

Br

Peter

• 2.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2016 07:37 AM

Just setting the rates at 12 does not eliminate all communications at  the lowest rates.  Clients will still probe at the lowest rates and some might even try to communicate at rates lower than you have set.

• 3.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:00 AM

So the statement in the manual 'Select the set of 802.11b/g rates at which the AP is allowed to send data' isn't completely accurate? The AP is just not advertising the rates that are not selected?

The 'Local Probe Request Threshold (dB)' would then maybe be a better option to steer the clients to the best AP?

• 4.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:04 AM

@RD-one wrote:

So the statement in the manual 'Select the set of 802.11b/g rates at which the AP is allowed to send data' isn't completely accurate? The AP is just not advertising the rates that are not selected?

The 'Local Probe Request Threshold (dB)' would then maybe be a better option to steer the clients to the best AP?

Again, the AP can restrict sending data except for specific rates, but the client is allowed to attempt to send data at any rate.  Your issue could be client-specific.  I would do a packet capture and see who is sending what data at what rates.

The power of the access point is the main tool used to steer clients to the best AP.  It should be lowered if clients have problems roaming.

• 5.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:14 AM

Ok Colin. I understand now. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

Posted Apr 11, 2016 06:33 AM

Hi Colin

I've captured the traffic and the advertised rates in the beacons are indeed as set in the profile.

I still find it strange that clients can decide a lower rate and that the AP is accepting it.

So the AP will not send at the lower rates, but the client is. The rate shown in dashboard is the rate the client is sending at. Am I correct?

As I was discussing with colleages, they said that for Cisco and hp Comware controllers there is a setting 'disabled' rates which emiminates all lower rates. They say that the disabled rates are not seen anymore at all.

Rgds

Peter

• 7.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2016 08:51 AM

Do you have a screenshot, so I know exactly what you are referring to?

• 8.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

Posted Apr 11, 2016 09:00 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Colin

I'm referring to the Speed (bps) as indicated on the client dashboard as in the screenshot.

• 9.  RE: Disable the low data rates for a voice SSID.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2016 09:37 AM

RD-One,

I cannot compare what is done on Cisco and hp Comware WLAN controllers, but if you do a packet capture on that client, you will see that even if the SSID has restricted the speed, the client can still send out probes at any speed (typically the lowest) even on Cisco and HP Comware WLAN controllers.  I believe this is what is being reported here, periodically.  If you think this is being misreported, please open a TAC case.