Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Discrepancy Between user-table and station-table

I've been chasing an issue with TAC with visualRF and noticed a differences between the number of clients displayed on the controller dashboard and the clients displayed on Airwave's dashboard. It looks like the controller's dashboard is displaying information from the station-table while AMP is displaying information from the user-table. At least based on the numbers, that is what it appears to be doing. This FAQ describes the difference between these tables: 

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/What-is-the-difference-between-station-table-and-user-table

When I look at these tables, there is usually at least a client count of 100+ difference. Why is that? Does the user-table cache client info longer or something like that?

show station-table | include Entries

Station Entries: 640

show user-table | include Entries

User Entries: 779/779

Thanks,

Robert

Guru Elite

Re: Discrepancy Between user-table and station-table

A client may be associated but not authenticated to the network resulting in being present in the station-table and not the user-table.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor I

This is related, but if I'm reading it correctly, I'd expect more devices in the station table than in the user table.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-969

Guru Elite

rwilsonblue,

You are talking about two different things, and they might need to be addressed separately:

A device will make it into the user table only if it has an ip address (even a .169 address).  Devices that do not connect successfully, but still attempt, make it into the station table, but not the user table; that should be the discrepancy between the station table and the user table.  That is a general statement and user table timers could affect how big this descrepancy is.

With regards to airwave, if you are using AMON to send traffic from the controller to Airwave, try turning off the "Prefer AMON" setting to see if there is a difference.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

rwilsonblue wrote:

This is related, but if I'm reading it correctly, I'd expect more devices in the station table than in the user table.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-969

A device could be in the user table with its WAN (3g/4g)device ip address as well as its WLAN ip address.  The "enforce DHCP" setting in the AAA profile on the controller could prevent this.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Our primary SSID has Enforce DHCP enabled. Is there a way to dump the user table without pausing or export it in a format that one could parse?

MVP

Yes, you can use the 'no paging' command to disable paging.

Please not that the station-table shows associations (connected devices), the user table shows active IP-addresses.

In my situation, I see many stations with both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address, what also happens quite often is when clients roam from cellular 3G/4G to WLAN, or from another WLAN still use their old IP address which shows up in the user table.

So the same connected client (station-table) can have any number of entries in the user table (even zero user table entries is possible). If you analyze, you will likely see more than one user-table entries per mac-address (station-table).

This post: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Why-am-I-seeing-strange-IPs-in-the-user-table/m-p/206363 seems related to your question. The valid-user ACL may help if you want to prevent this behavior.

Herman

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC.
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks for the response. "no paging" helps, but it still has the headers every page. grrrr.

A quick glance shows our standard IP addresses. I'll search for dupe MACs and see what that shows.

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks.

Looking for duplicate MACs shows only a few and those that are dupes have the same valid IP address. The IPs of devices in the user-table look valid.

Here are the current counts from both tables. 

Station Entries: 609

User Entries: 788/788

What are those settings called and what are the defaults? Maybe they've been tweaked.

Thanks,
Robert

MVP

Robert,

I don't understand what settings you are referring to..

Herman

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: