Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

Posted Jan 25, 2018 02:39 PM

My campus is very interested in deploying Asset Tracking Solution and we are looking on Aruba for this.

Now I am reading this article and it says "The Aruba asset tracking solution is fully integrated into the Aruba wireless infrastructure, enabling simplified, fully integrated deployments at dramatically reduced costs."

What does this exactly mean? Do all APs support this Asset Tracking Solution using WiFi or only few APs with  integrated BLE's support this.  

Can someone clarify this. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE

• 3.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

Posted Jan 25, 2018 03:09 PM

Ok, at first I thought other than using Bluetooth (BLE), Aruba can also use WiFi to track.           

So since we still have older APs (1xx, 2xx series) then we need to buy the beacons then. The 2xx series seem to  have USB port we can power up beacons but the 1xx series doesn't so we have to buy a battery powered beacons for them.

Am I getting all this right?

• 4.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 05:36 PM

Correct.

There is also Tracking Via Wifi using the Aruba ALE engine:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_ALE.pdf

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/analytics/ale/

• 5.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

Posted Jan 25, 2018 05:37 PM

I appreciate the answer.

Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

Posted Jan 25, 2018 06:06 PM

Oh. I more quick follow up question.

Do we need to have an RTLS server to run Asset Tracking Solution  or we can choose to use Airwave VRF to locate Aruba Tags?

RTLS.PNG

• 7.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 08:16 PM

You would need an Asset Tracking solution for a full solution.  It all depends on what you want to do, however..

• 8.  RE: Do all APs support Asset Tracking Solution or only the few APs with integrated BLE's

Posted Jan 25, 2018 08:23 PM

Yeah, it turns out that I am confused and looking at 2 different Aruba thing. Aruba Tag vs Beacon. https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/The-Difference-Between-Tags-and-Beacons/ba-p/303821       

Anyway, what we want is to Track assets. We want to tag Key Rings so we know where they are in real time. Can you help me figure out what service we need?