Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:10 AM

Hi,

I am reading the manual time after time, but cannot understand if the ACL white list will block/rate limit only traffic to the controller or also through the controller. It seems to be a feature that do not require PEFNG, but apply to all traffic hitting the controller.

Maybe my brain has to be improved :-)

• 2.  RE: Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:25 AM

It depends where ACLs are applied.

In general:

ACLs applied to a ROLE only affect users in that role.

ACLs applied to a physical interface affect all traffic going through that interface.

• 3.  RE: Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:34 AM

Hmm,

This type of ACL does not have a name or number so how do I apply it to a role or interface?

I have seen that I can apply a bandwisth contract to a role (with PEFNG a.f.a.i.k.), but not the white list. Can you refer to a manual page where this is done?

(config-fw-cp) #ipv4 permit 10.10.10.10 2.2.2.2 proto ftp bandwidth-contract name mycon
    tract

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:36 AM

and my question still remains. 

All traffic thrrough the controller or only to the controller?

• 5.  RE: Does ACL white lists block traffic through the controller or only to the controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:45 AM

The specific command in your example is traffic to and from the management plane (control plane) of the controller.  The equivalent in the real world is called a service acl.  It has no effect on the users on a controller, but mainly devices that would communicate with a controller, like access points, management users who would SSH and WEB into the controller to configure it, etc.

Information on that specific command is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_6.4.4.x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/1CommandList/firewall_cp.htm