Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 11:22 AM

I have a very odd situation on my switch stack. Every morning, between 9 and 9:30, there appears to be a broadcast storm and spanning tree confusion.

These HP switches turn all the traffic lights solid green, and overall LAN performance is degraded for some, but not all.

Rebooting the switches, and one in particular, clears the problem for the day. Then, the next day, again between 9 and 9:30, the same thing happens.

I have been tracing things out, doing SNMP and log analysis, spectrum to look for correlations. But today I kept the suspect switch's uplink ports down from 9 to 10 and then brought the switch up, and so far so good.

Attached to this switch is the normal office PC's and Printers. But also an Aruba 7210. I must confess to knowing very little about this box. We used to have a flat VLAN structure but have been expaning that for a few months, and the new VLANS seem to coincide with my problems.

So does the 7210 do something on a 24 hour cycle? I'm really scratching my head over how a problem can happen, then a switch reboot clears it for the day. I have been suspecting a bad NIC somewhere, or cabling, but how would this be just once per day?

As I said, I'm pretty ignorant on the controller. An Aruba engineer helped me set it up, and it has been operating fine for close to a year. But new VLANS means spanning tree has gotten complex, and this seems to be where I am running into problems.

• 2.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 11:33 AM

Hi,

Are these controllers managed by Airwave ? and what is the STP status on the uplink ports ?

• 3.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 11:58 AM

Yes, the controller is managed by Airwave. Or perhaps I should say Airwave reports on this controller.

I have VLANS and cables connected to ports 0, 1 and 3

Port 0 - spanning tree not enabled Native VLAN 1, allow vlans 1,160

Port 1 - This is the supect port and I'm frankly unclear why it was setup this way. I have it admin-down on the HP switch it connects to. It is set at VLAN 165 and STP enabled, cost 19

Port 3 - Spanning tree enabled cost 19, port fast, p2p, VLAN 114

VLAN 1 and 114 exist in my switch stack. 1 is currently for the management interface (but will change this to 110 soon), 114 is for the Access Points and gets DHCP from the controller. VLAN 160 is for the guest SSID and the controller hands out DHCP leases here as well. I don't know what 165 is all about - appears to be an interface for a publicly routable IP. I have that interface down now with no ill effects on the AP's or connections.

• 4.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 12:58 PM

HI,

Here suspected element is Airwave, it will generate SNMP traffic during maintenance time, default time is midnight and early morning (4.30 am).

Do RCA from Airwave side, check whether Airwave is configured for maintenance or not.

• 5.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 02:23 PM

Thanks. Sorry to be ignorant - what's RCA?

• 6.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 03:24 PM

Looking at the webui, I see daily maintenance happening at 4:17 each morning and reports being generated at midnight. I don't see anything special about 9-9:30.

• 7.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

Posted Mar 26, 2015 03:50 PM

I do see in Airwave AMP Setup/General that the device configuration audit interval is "Daily".

How do I tell the time of day that this has kicked off? Hopefully I have a few weeks history to see if it's related.

• 8.  RE: Does a controller do something every 24 hours? Network problem diagnosis, please!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 08:05 PM

Sounds like a physical loop is being created.