Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

Posted May 24, 2012 07:00 PM

I was reading in the forums that ENABLING “ local probe responses” is an Aruba suggestion in order to have “band steering” WORKING?

I have a fully environment of client /users in my controllers with more tan1000 concurrents clients and peak hours of 3000 concurrently users, could someone guide me over this " Best practice configurations needed"?

Plesae let me know.

• 2.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2012 08:34 PM

In 3.x Band Steering does not work if local probe response is enabled.   In addition, load balancing also does not work with local probe response enabled.  That is the way it was, back then. This was changed in ArubaOS 5.x. so they both work with it enabled.  In 6.x the local probe response checkbox is removed, altogether.

• 3.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

Posted May 25, 2012 12:50 PM

Ok, I need a GURU opinion for this:

What would be better for my to configure: taking in consideration that I have houndreds of users sudenly connecting to the network in conferences rooms and convention centers:

A) Disable local probe and configure Band Steering

B) Set local probe enabled and configure only user load balancing

C) Im in the plan with the network team to update the controllers codes to take them to version 6, but at this moment we are running 3.4.0 and will need to be doing our best to avoide mayor issues while we are planning the migration.

PD: if Im missing out of the scope ton choose band steering or enable local probe please let me know

I trust in your advise.

Thank you very much cjoseph.

• 4.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 25, 2012 12:53 PM

@esesmac wrote:

Ok, I need a GURU opinion for this:

What would be better for my to configure: taking in consideration that I have houndreds of users sudenly connecting to the network in conferences rooms and convention centers:

A) Disable local probe and configure Band Steering

B) Set local probe enabled and configure only user load balancing

C) Im in the plan with the network team to update the controllers codes to take them to version 6, but at this moment we are running 3.4.0 and will need to be doing our best to avoide mayor issues while we are planning the migration.

PD: if Im missing out of the scope ton choose band steering or enable local probe please let me know

I trust in your advise.

Thank you very much cjoseph.

Option D:  Consider Upgrading to ArubaOS 5.x before configuring those features, because it is likely that those options/features are not maintained in that early version of code and newer clients could have issues with it.

• 5.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

Posted May 31, 2012 07:07 PM

From this pint in version 3.4.0.7 can I go directly yo version 5.0.4.6?

Thank you

• 6.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2012 07:17 PM

The release notes for 5.0.4.7 will tell you specifically if you can do it, as well as the ramifications.  In general, you can.  in specific, your SC-II capacity will be cut from 256 APs to 128.

You can also open a support case so that they can go through your configuration in detail and ensure what you are doing is as you expect.

• 7.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

Posted May 31, 2012 07:39 PM

Good ! but I have a question you meant 3.4.0.7 release notes , right?

Regards.

• 8.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2012 07:40 PM

I mean the 5.0.4.6 release notes.  Sorry.

• 9.  RE: Does local probe responses disabled in OSv3.4.x makes “band steering” to STOP working?

Posted May 31, 2012 07:43 PM

Got it , Thanks.