Wireless Access

New Contributor

Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

I am wifi newbie. I learned, iphones are implementing the 802.11k and are capable of hand overing between access points seamlessly. I can see in Aruba controller, we can enable this feature in accesspoint level. My question is, about the obsolete mobile devices that doesn't have native support for roaming. Would they roam in this case?

Guru Elite

Re: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

[ Edited ]

The quick answer:

The vast majority of devices roam.  The vast majority of devices do not support 802.11k.

Please see the Roaming and RF optimizatinon VRD here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/227716 for more details.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Re: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

I think you did not get my point. My question was, is it possible to make old devices (which does not support roaming nativly) roam in aruba wifi network with the help of access point and controller?

Guru Elite

That is a very general question.  It depends on the device.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

So you mean,, having the capability in the aruba controller will not help in this case?

Guru Elite

The decision to roam is solely that of the client.  There are some things that can be done to encourage roaming like lowering the power and removing basic and transmit rates.  Aruba's ClientMatch could help by trying to move sticky clients, but having the right power on your access points plays a far bigger role in helping clients roam in general.  Some clients do not respond very well to anything.  You are asking a very general question.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: