Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

Posted Mar 08, 2016 02:13 AM

I am wifi newbie. I learned, iphones are implementing the 802.11k and are capable of hand overing between access points seamlessly. I can see in Aruba controller, we can enable this feature in accesspoint level. My question is, about the obsolete mobile devices that doesn't have native support for roaming. Would they roam in this case?

• 2.  RE: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2016 05:56 AM

The quick answer:

The vast majority of devices roam.  The vast majority of devices do not support 802.11k.

Please see the Roaming and RF optimizatinon VRD here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/227716 for more details.

• 3.  RE: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

Posted Mar 08, 2016 07:22 AM

I think you did not get my point. My question was, is it possible to make old devices (which does not support roaming nativly) roam in aruba wifi network with the help of access point and controller?

• 4.  RE: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2016 07:28 AM

That is a very general question.  It depends on the device.

• 5.  RE: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?

Posted Mar 08, 2016 07:30 AM

So you mean,, having the capability in the aruba controller will not help in this case?

• 6.  RE: Does wifi roaming supported on classic devices that does not have 802.11k/r implemented?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2016 08:02 AM

The decision to roam is solely that of the client.  There are some things that can be done to encourage roaming like lowering the power and removing basic and transmit rates.  Aruba's ClientMatch could help by trying to move sticky clients, but having the right power on your access points plays a far bigger role in helping clients roam in general.  Some clients do not respond very well to anything.  You are asking a very general question.