Wireless Access

MVP

Drop bc/mc on wired ports

We have several branches using the wired ports on RAPs.  I'd like to optimize traffic on these ports, just as as we do on our VAPs by dropping bc/mc traffic traffic and converting ARP to unicast.  Is enable bmcm optimization on the controller's SVI the equivalent of a VAP's drop bc/mc?  I assume that's what I what I want.  If that's the case, how does it effect the the broadcast option in the wired ap profile?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

Re: Drop bc/mc on wired ports

[ Edited ]
Bcmc is equivalent to the drop broadcast / multicast on the VAP

Just make sure that any application the user will be using on the vlan doesn't require multicast
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Aruba

I assume you mean BCMC Optimization in the VLAN on the controller and not the AP Wired port profile?  If it's the VLAN on the controller, this will drop all the broadcast and multicast frames on a VLAN (both wired and wireless interfaces) except for ARP, DHCP, IPv6 router advertisement, IPv6 neighbor solicitation and VRRP traffic.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Aruba

See below for the broadcast option in the wired ap port profile:

This knob is effective only on wired ports in tunnel mode. When this knob is diasbled, flooded traffic from other Wired APs (in both tunnel and split-tunnel forwarding modes) and Virtual APs (in Tunnel, Decrypt Tunnel , and Split Tunnel forwarding modes ) will not be flooded to this Wired AP. In order for this to work, the Wired AP, where the Broadcast knob is set to disable, must be in the tunnel forwarding mode.

Note: Disabling this knob on a wired port might break communication between users/phones on this port and the users/phones on other VAPs or wired ports that are on the same VLAN.

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
MVP

Thank you both.
=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: