Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Dual DHCP Leases?

Hello All,

I have a group of medical devices that obtain a user role on a PSK SSID that assigns them to a VLAN based on MAC OUI.  I notcied in the logs upon connection that the devices get a DHCP address on the default VLAN and then grab another DHCP address on their appropriate VLAN.  I can see why this could occur on a wireless network but in anyone's experience, is this the expected behavior?  

Thanks in advance!

Guru Elite

Re: Dual DHCP Leases?

dhbennett,

What method are you using to move the device to a different VLAN, a user derivation rule?

You should enable debugging on a client to see what VLAN it ends up in and for how long:

config t

logging level debug user-debug <mac address of user>

When you have connected the device, you should type "show log user-debug all" to see if you see what VLAN(s) your client ends up in...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  That's what I have done (I was debugging the device for another issue when I noticed this).  I am using a user derivation rule and it does end up on the correct VLAN.  I'm attaching a log which will hopeful clarify what I am experiencing.

Is that a vlan-derivation rule you have?

I would expect to see that behaviour if it was a dhcp fingerprint rule, but not for a normal vlan-derivation.

Have you tried a role derivation rule, but in the role you specify the vlan?

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: