Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Duplicate devices?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Duplicate devices?

Posted Aug 31, 2012 11:33 AM

Yesterday Airwave told me that I am out of licenses.  I just added another 50 (total of 550), so this is a little unexpected. 

I purged 10 "down" devices (from offices that were closed).  Looking at it now,  it seems to think we have 209 controllers and 329 APs.....and another 63 "new devices."

According to the master controller, we have 179 controllers and 339 APs.

Since everything is provisioned from the master (all devices in Airwave are in monitor mode), I'm inclined to believe the numbers on my master controller.

Looking at Airwave I notice that I have some controllers listed twice.  Even looking at the "new devices" list, I have several controllers listed twice.

Is there an easy way to find and delete these multiple listings?  If I do it manually, is it best to delete both instances and let Airwave rediscover? 

Is there a way to explain why I have these multiple instances?

• 2.  RE: Duplicate devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2012 07:28 PM

Our 7.5.5 release has some fixes that can prevent duplicate controllers from being created in some cases.  

If you don't care about the historical data, it would certainly work to delete these controllers and let them get rediscovered -- especially if you upgrade to 7.5.5 first.  If you want help deleting just the dupes, our support team could probably help you come up with a practical way to identify which ones to get rid of.    

• 3.  RE: Duplicate devices?

Posted Sep 04, 2012 09:40 AM

Thanks.  I'm running 7.5.4 right now and have had the 7.5.5 upgrade on my radar.

I'll give that a try.  I'm pretty sure most of the duplicates are newer installs, so shouldn't need any of the historical data.

On the chance that I have duplicate APs in there as well, will deleting them have any affect on VisualRF?  If I have APs on a map and delete them, will they reappear once they are rediscovered?

• 4.  RE: Duplicate devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2012 12:16 PM

I don't know of any cases where we create duplicate Aruba APs.  But if you delete an AP that's in VisualRF, then it eventually gets aged out of VisualRF and would need to be replaced.  

• 5.  RE: Duplicate devices?

Posted Sep 07, 2012 03:54 PM
      |   view attached

Upgraded to 7.5.5 and deleted all of my controllers.

New discovery is finding them again....problem is most of them are being discovered twice!  I'm not sure which one on the list to select and add back into Airwave.

• 6.  RE: Duplicate devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2012 04:22 PM

Is the network you're using to discover them the same that the AMP is adding them on?  Sometimes if you add the devices on an internal network, but discover using public network, it can lead to duplicate devices.  Another thing is that if these are the 620s with built in APs, then you're going to get 2 devices in AMP for it, 1 for the controller, and 1 for the AP.

• 7.  RE: Duplicate devices?

Posted Sep 21, 2012 07:07 PM

I have experienced the duplicate controller problem as well with v7.5.2.  I logged a TAC case and was told the fix would be included in v7.5.5.  I upgraded on Monday only to find the symptoms persist in v7.5.5.   

TAC has replied back to me:

"I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have seen this issue on 7.5.5 as well and the fix did not work as expected. We have filed a new defect DE12851 for this."

Steve

• 8.  RE: Duplicate devices?

Posted Nov 29, 2012 05:27 PM

Interesting.  I guess I'll have to look at the release notes for 7.5.6 and 7.5.7 to see if either fix the issue.

• 9.  RE: Duplicate devices?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2012 11:49 AM

Make sure that the IP and MAC addresses are unique.  Certain devices automatically come in pairs.

The 65x series of controllers has an internal AP built in, this is added as a 2 devices (1 = controller, 1 = AP).

Instant APs (swarm) that are also the Virtual Controller also appears as 2 devices (1 = VC, 1 = IAP).

Often times, these will appear to have the same device name.