Wireless Access

New Contributor

Duplicate name APs

Hello, i've a 3600 Aruba Controller and i'm using AP93s  for local and remote WiFi network.

After reloading an old configuration i've an anomaly on a remote branch AG.

I have 2 AP that for some reasons are now configurated with the same name, but they still working ( i'm sure of this because i've some PCs connected to both the APs ).

Now, on the GUI i only have 1 of this AP displayed, the other one is displayed under "Unprovisioned Access Points" "Duplicate AP Name". If i use the GUI to provision again the AP it seems that the changes are applied to both the APs so i can't break this loop.

Obviously their MAC address is different, so there is a way to reconfigure the AP using the MAC address to identify the single AP?

tks,

Davide

Guru Elite

Re: Duplicate name APs

Try this:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-clear-gap-db-access-point-housekeeping/m-p/1774/highlight/true#M116

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

I tried your suggestion, the command has cleaned all my offline APs and the duplicate AP, than for some minutes i totally lost one of the AP from any pannel, then after a bit it reappeared with same name and some IP of the other one (same situation).

Guru Elite

davided wrote:

I tried your suggestion, the command has cleaned all my offline APs and the duplicate AP, than for some minutes i totally lost one of the AP from any pannel, then after a bit it reappeared with same name and some IP of the other one (same situation).

Okay.

You might want to rename the AP with the problem, then:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-AP-rename/m-p/44/highlight/true#M14

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

I tried to change the ap-name using the MAC or the Serial number but without success. simply my commands seems to be ignored, i take the command without errors but after an "ap show database" i can check that he do nothing.

Then i chose a bit more radical solution :smileywink:: i've ask to a collegue in the branch office to cut off the power to one of the AP (the one with pwr led blinking), then i renamed that AP and changed his IP address. After that i've switched on again the first AP and it come up with no problem.

Thanks for your help anyway

Guru Elite

If you change the name, it will reboot the AP and then it should come up with the new name, but you have to let it reboot to see it reflected.

Colin Joseph

Contributor I

Hi, when I found two APs with the same name I do the following.

- Rename the active AP with a temporary name.

- Reboot the AP with UNI... flag

Then both APs become active and you could rename them again without any problem.

Regards,

Jose

Guru Elite

j8888 wrote:

Hi, when I found two APs with the same name I do the following.

- Rename the active AP with a temporary name.

- Reboot the AP with UNI... flag

Then both APs become active and you could rename them again without any problem.

Regards,

Jose

If you find two APs with a duplicate name, do a "show ap database long" to determine the mac address or serial number of the AP that you want to fix.  Next, do an "ap-rename" with wired mac address or serial number, and the AP will reboot immediately when you change the ap's name, and that should be it.

Usually if you have a duplicate AP name, the second AP that comes up does not work.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: