Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Duplicate name APs

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  Duplicate name APs

Posted Oct 09, 2012 09:20 AM

Hello, i've a 3600 Aruba Controller and i'm using AP93s  for local and remote WiFi network.

After reloading an old configuration i've an anomaly on a remote branch AG.

I have 2 AP that for some reasons are now configurated with the same name, but they still working ( i'm sure of this because i've some PCs connected to both the APs ).

Now, on the GUI i only have 1 of this AP displayed, the other one is displayed under "Unprovisioned Access Points" "Duplicate AP Name". If i use the GUI to provision again the AP it seems that the changes are applied to both the APs so i can't break this loop.

Obviously their MAC address is different, so there is a way to reconfigure the AP using the MAC address to identify the single AP?

tks,

Davide

• 2.  RE: Duplicate name APs

• 3.  RE: Duplicate name APs

Posted Oct 09, 2012 10:01 AM

I tried your suggestion, the command has cleaned all my offline APs and the duplicate AP, than for some minutes i totally lost one of the AP from any pannel, then after a bit it reappeared with same name and some IP of the other one (same situation).

• 4.  RE: Duplicate name APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2012 10:03 AM

@davided wrote:

I tried your suggestion, the command has cleaned all my offline APs and the duplicate AP, than for some minutes i totally lost one of the AP from any pannel, then after a bit it reappeared with same name and some IP of the other one (same situation).

Okay.

You might want to rename the AP with the problem, then:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-AP-rename/m-p/44/highlight/true#M14

• 5.  RE: Duplicate name APs
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 09, 2012 10:55 AM

I tried to change the ap-name using the MAC or the Serial number but without success. simply my commands seems to be ignored, i take the command without errors but after an "ap show database" i can check that he do nothing.

Then i chose a bit more radical solution :smileywink:: i've ask to a collegue in the branch office to cut off the power to one of the AP (the one with pwr led blinking), then i renamed that AP and changed his IP address. After that i've switched on again the first AP and it come up with no problem.

Thanks for your help anyway

• 6.  RE: Duplicate name APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2012 11:06 AM

If you change the name, it will reboot the AP and then it should come up with the new name, but you have to let it reboot to see it reflected.

• 7.  RE: Duplicate name APs

Posted Oct 11, 2012 07:38 AM

Hi, when I found two APs with the same name I do the following.

- Rename the active AP with a temporary name.

- Reboot the AP with UNI... flag

Then both APs become active and you could rename them again without any problem.

Regards,

Jose

• 8.  RE: Duplicate name APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2012 09:15 AM

@j8888 wrote:

Hi, when I found two APs with the same name I do the following.

- Rename the active AP with a temporary name.

- Reboot the AP with UNI... flag

Then both APs become active and you could rename them again without any problem.

Regards,

Jose

If you find two APs with a duplicate name, do a "show ap database long" to determine the mac address or serial number of the AP that you want to fix.  Next, do an "ap-rename" with wired mac address or serial number, and the AP will reboot immediately when you change the ap's name, and that should be it.

Usually if you have a duplicate AP name, the second AP that comes up does not work.

• 9.  RE: Duplicate name APs

Posted Sep 13, 2018 02:43 PM

ALL AP are showing up. but some ap are showing in duplicate name & unprovisioned. How to fix this issue?

• 10.  RE: Duplicate name APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2018 03:18 PM

Please see the post right above your post.