Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Dynamic VLAN for mobile devices

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Dynamic VLAN for mobile devices

Posted Dec 01, 2017 04:06 PM

I am trying to set up an SSID on an IAP Controller that will use Dynamic VLAN to put laptops in VLAN 1 and mobile devices (iphones, android phones and tablets) in VLAN 100.  The problem i'm running into is that I'm not sure what Attribute I need and the String to set for it.

I've tried Attribute=Class, String=iphone but that isn't working.  Any thoughts?  

• 2.  RE: Dynamic VLAN for mobile devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 01, 2017 05:51 PM

The problem is that a client needs to get an ip address from a VLAN before the type of client is identified.  If the VLAN of a client is changed after that, the client would not know and will not re-dhcp to get a new ip address.  Maybe others have ideas on how to deal with your challenge.

• 3.  RE: Dynamic VLAN for mobile devices

Posted Dec 04, 2017 05:37 AM

Hi

I totally agree with cjosep. The VLAN assignment need to be bevor the client get the IP Address. Otherwise the client have a IP address from the wrong VLAN. And it isn't possible to force an ip renew from the Wifi AP or controller. I use this feature ofen based to change the VLAN different APs.

My only idea I have is to solve this with Clearpass. From my point of view there you have the availability to check client details bevor your authenticate and write back the controller role.

Cheers