Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Enabling controller logging

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Enabling controller logging

Posted Aug 07, 2017 03:51 PM

Hi,

We have a situation where some of our controllers are rebooting without warning (we have a TAC case open). We have a remote logging server so I want to set the controllers up to log to that. There are quite a number of available options so I wondered if there was any advice about some sensible settings for this?

We currently have the logging servers added like this:

logging x.x.x.x severity errors
      logging x.x.x.x severity errors

And only the following is logged at the moment (someone else set this up some time ago):

logging level warnings security subcat ids
      logging level warnings security subcat ids-ap

I also wondered what 'Debug String' is when setting logging up on ap-debug:

(config) #logging level warnings ap-debug ?
    <name> Debug String Range 1-63

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Enabling controller logging

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2017 04:09 PM
    If you controller reboots, typically TAC would ask for the crash.tar file which would survive a reboot. They would then be able to let you know what type of external logging they would want done. Typically you would just do "logging <IP address of syslog server>" to start...

• 3.  RE: Enabling controller logging

Posted Aug 07, 2017 04:18 PM

Thanks Colin,

It seems that the crash.tar files aren't being created/surviving the reboot. So they have suggested we run console sessions on the controllers and hopefully catch one of them rebooting, we have a console server so we can install that in the data centre tomorrow and do as they suggest.

Having some remote logging would be a good idea in any case (regardless of the current issues), and this seemed like a good reason to configure it.

I've configured the servers as you suggest (logging x.x.x.x) and the remote facility is set, so we should hopefully see some logs appear now.