Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Enabling controller logging

Hi,

We have a situation where some of our controllers are rebooting without warning (we have a TAC case open). We have a remote logging server so I want to set the controllers up to log to that. There are quite a number of available options so I wondered if there was any advice about some sensible settings for this?

We currently have the logging servers added like this:

logging x.x.x.x severity errors
  logging x.x.x.x severity errors

And only the following is logged at the moment (someone else set this up some time ago):

logging level warnings security subcat ids
  logging level warnings security subcat ids-ap

I also wondered what 'Debug String' is when setting logging up on ap-debug:

(config) #logging level warnings ap-debug ?
<name> Debug String Range 1-63

Thanks in advance.

Guru Elite

Re: Enabling controller logging

If you controller reboots, typically TAC would ask for the crash.tar file which would survive a reboot. They would then be able to let you know what type of external logging they would want done. Typically you would just do "logging <IP address of syslog server>" to start...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Enabling controller logging

Thanks Colin,

It seems that the crash.tar files aren't being created/surviving the reboot. So they have suggested we run console sessions on the controllers and hopefully catch one of them rebooting, we have a console server so we can install that in the data centre tomorrow and do as they suggest.

Having some remote logging would be a good idea in any case (regardless of the current issues), and this seemed like a good reason to configure it.

I've configured the servers as you suggest (logging x.x.x.x) and the remote facility is set, so we should hopefully see some logs appear now.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: