Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 05, 2013 11:02 PM

Hello i was wondering if you Aruba guys got some kind of study with numbers of money saving with this kind of feature in which you can shut down APs during specific times.

Like how much energy an AP consumes and how much energy and money it will save you turning these off

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2013 09:50 AM

Carlos,

We have not done an official study on this but it is a great idea. We do publish the AP power power consumption values (on their respective datasheets) and while this is typically the maximum needed when serving clients, I typically see our APs at least draw 5 watts (if not more) when idle. If a customer is using X number of APs, you could tell them that when the WiFi is not needed, they would save X*5-watts if they used time of day PoE profiles. Additionally, you could also use time of day PoE profiles for other PoE devices like IP phones in non-critical areas.

You can always verify the PoE load on a Mobility Access Switch using "show poe controller" for the aggregate PoE consumption or "show poe interface brief" for a port by port display of PoE consumption.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 06, 2013 11:21 AM

Hello

Thanks for the reply

I was looking this because i would like to show the client something like this

Like in a year you could be saving  x ammount of money in power if you use ArubaSwithes instead cisco switches for example as you can turn off the APs automnatically and turn them on again for example turn of at 10pm and turn them on again at 6am.

If i can tell them with Money numbers then they would understand... if i just tell them they would save energy they would just not consider this as they would think well i dont think its a lot of money so i dont care.

You get my point?

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2013 12:23 PM

Carlos,

Yes, understand the need. We can work on a document covering this.

Best regards,

Madani

• 5.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 06, 2013 12:25 PM

Thank you this would be really helpful!

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 06, 2013 12:26 PM

Please also if you can tell me when a document about this is ready if you could reply this topic of send me a private message as i would like to use it as soon as i can :)

Thanks

Carlos

• 7.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2013 12:29 PM

Sure.

• 8.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 15, 2013 09:24 PM

Hello Madjali

those 12.5W is 12.5W per hour right?

The other thing that would be nice to have is

How much Energy i mean kWh would consume a switch with all 48 ports using POE and when its not using POE

and well the value of APS how much they consume in kWh

I guess if we get the kWh value we can all do our matematics and get how much savings you are getting.

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2013 01:10 PM

Carlos,

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to with respect to 12.5W.

Best regards,

Madani

• 10.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 16, 2013 01:24 PM

Hello

What i want to know is how much kWh comsume an AP 105 for example

Also how much kWh consume a Aruba switch with POE on( imean all the ports using POE with aps connected to it using it)

And how much kWh comsumes a aruba switch with the POE off

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2013 06:42 PM

Carlos,

Using the max values from our AP datasheets, below are the kWh values for all of our APs. These are the maximums the AP will consume and so it may be lower depending on client load. We are currently running tests on the switches to capture the consumption at idle state, 10% traffic load, 50% traffic load and then 100% traffic load both with the uplinks and without. Once we have those values, we can encorporate the AP consumption on top of that to get a approximation of what the switch is consuming with APs attached.

Access Point Model Max Power Consumption (watts) Max Power Consumption (kWh)
    68/68P 8 0.008
    92/93 10 0.01
    93H 9 0.009
    104/105 12.5 0.0125
    124/125 16 0.016
    134/135 12.5 0.0125
    175 18 0.018
    224/225 15 0.015

• 12.  RE: Energy - efficient features on Aruba Switches

Posted May 21, 2013 06:48 PM

Excellent!

Thank you soo much for the information!!!