Wireless Access

Contributor II

Error With enforce DHCP

Hi.

When I enable the option "enforce DHCP" all works good except for a few users.

I enable the logging for them and get the logs.

Jul 30 01:59:28 :522026: <INFO> |authmgr| MAC=00:1b:77:88:ac:ce IP=10.1.146.106 User miss: ingress=0x10014, VLAN=40 flags=0x40
Jul 30 01:59:28 :522141: <DBUG> |authmgr| 00:1b:77:88:ac:ce IP 10.1.146.106: drop pkt as ip not assigned through dhcp.

The problem is that the user is not using an static IP. Is getting the Ip through DHCP. 

The only thing different that I can saw is (prefered) after the IP address in the output of ipconfig. 

Sufijo DNS específico para la conexión. . :
Dirección IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.146.106 (prefered)
Máscara de subred . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.128
Puerta de enlace predeterminada . . . . . : 10.1.146.1

I´m using AOS: 6.2.1.3

Clients: Windows 7 

Controller : 3600

APs: 135

Thanks in advance. 

Guru Elite

Re: Error With enforce DHCP

"Preferred" is an autoconfigured address, so that device would not have gotten it from DHCP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

Ok thanks but. 

When I check the ipv4 configuration on the adapter it doesn´t have any IP configured.

Where can I find that preferred configuration?

MVP

We initially experienced this when we started using AOS 6.2 and it happened to certain devices . It worked fine on 6.1.2.6

At the time we were working on other more important issues that we just decided to turn it off.

My suggestion is to open a TAC case .
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

erickyruz wrote:

Ok thanks but. 

When I check the ipv4 configuration on the adapter it doesn´t have any IP configured.

Where can I find that preferred configuration?

Check to make sure you did not run out of ip addresses in your DHCP scope.  Or, you can try the info at the link here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e96f0ec5-4a71-4beb-b403-06cfc4017999/autoconfiguration-ip-address-preferred

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

What does "drop pkt as ip not assigned through dhcp" actually mean? ____

"If there's a will, there's a way."
Guru Elite

msaw,

That means that the controller did not observe the device getting its ip address using DHCP, so it does not allow it to enter the user table.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the explanation :)

Can I check with you what would be some of the ways a client can get the IP address without controller observing?

Perhaps the client used Static IP, 169.x.x.x IP or maybe client got its IP through another controller (local controller)? 

"If there's a will, there's a way."
Guru Elite

Msaw, yes those are two of the best reasons.

Colin Joseph

Super Contributor I

Clients can also bleed IPs from the last network they were attached to -- sometimes even their 4G radio through software glitches.  A lot of wireless providers use reserved DoD ranges so if you see addresses that map back to the DoD that's why.

A lot of home networks use low-numbered subnets of 10.x especially 10.1.X.X.  If you are handing out 10.x addresses, changing your local IP range to a more unusual subnet can help you tell when this is hapenning.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: