Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ethernet uplink packet capture in Instant AP

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Ethernet uplink packet capture in Instant AP

Posted Jun 14, 2017 01:33 PM

Hi guys,

I want to capture the packets that go through the ethernet uplink port of my Instant AP. I have seen many posts which explain how to capture wireless packets with Instant AP and Wireshark, but I don't want to capture wireless packets but wired packets. When a tried to use the command "pcap start" with the wired interface MAC instead of the BSSID, I get an error:

AP1# pcap start a8:bd:27:ca:79:14 192.168.1.95 5555 0 5000

Command Failed:Invalid AP RADIO BSSID Address,check by 'show ap details'

a8:bd:27:ca:79:14 is the wired interface MAC. Is there any way to do this?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Ethernet uplink packet capture in Instant AP

Posted Jun 14, 2017 03:06 PM
    you will most likely need to mirror the uplink port on the switch that it is plugged into and perform your packet capture there.

• 3.  RE: Ethernet uplink packet capture in Instant AP

Posted Jun 14, 2017 03:14 PM

Hi Pasquale,

I imagined that, I could do that, but I have limited access to the switches and because of that I wondered if there is the possibility to do it in the IAP itself. I will try on the switches then...

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Ethernet uplink packet capture in Instant AP

Posted Jun 25, 2017 11:45 PM

Hi Julian,

The inbuilt packet captures on IAP will only help you in capturing packets seen at the radio level.

In order to view the packets seen on the uplink of the IAP, port mirroring needs to be enabled on the uplink switch.