Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Extended Standby Controller Capacity

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Extended Standby Controller Capacity

Posted Feb 19, 2014 12:13 AM

Reference to 6.4 Release note any one can please provide more detail about "Extended Standby Controller Capacity".  Thank you

• 2.  RE: Extended Standby Controller Capacity

Posted Feb 19, 2014 04:09 AM

Hi,

In Version 6.4 , as far as i aware , if u working with Master-MasterStandby,u can take advantage of the standby controller to handle extra standby AP units.

Example:

Controller A - Master - 128 Licenese - With 140 AP UNITS deployed ..so it's got 12 more then what it can operate.

Contoller B - Standby Master - Got 128 (OR 140) Lienese - he will operate the 12 "Extra" AP units.

B.PNG

• 3.  RE: Extended Standby Controller Capacity

Posted Feb 19, 2014 04:36 AM

I am sorry i am not a native english speaker that is why i am not able to get you properly. Let me rephrase my question.

Suppose we have 02 controller say MC1 & MC2. Now MC1 has license of 128 APs and working as active while MC2 has no license (OS 6.3) and working as standby. now in this situation how many AP's does MC1 will support and once MC1 fails how many AP will MC2 will support ?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: Extended Standby Controller Capacity
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 10:21 AM

Syedmurali,

That note only applies to the "fast-failover" feature that was introduced in 6.3 and is in 6.4.  It is not mandatory, and you can continue to use VRRP and LMS-IP based failover.  The fast-failover mechanism builds a tunnel to the primary controller and a backup controller.  The enhancement allows more devices to form a tunnel using the fast-failover feature to a controller than would be allowed typically.  This is to support N+1 redundancy.

For example, if a single controller is backing up 3 controllers, the access points on the three controllers will have a primary tunnel to those three controllers and a backup tunnel to the single controller (the +1).  Those backup tunnels on the single controller can now temporarily exceed the number of access points that would be allowed on that controller to provide redundancy for the three controllers.

• 5.  RE: Extended Standby Controller Capacity

Posted Feb 19, 2014 11:54 PM
    Thanks CJ. It was nice explanation.