Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

Posted Jun 05, 2013 01:18 PM

I hope someone can give me a basic pointer here. I'll try to be as detailed as possible but I'm asking this for a third party. They use an 800 series controller with ArubaOS v5.0.3.3 with a number of Aruba APs attached, in a corporate environment with a number of WLANs already configured. Their controller was installed years ago and was managed by someone who has now left the company, and I have no access to a controller so I'm trying to work this out theoretically.

I've scanned through the Aruba OS documentation for version 5, and spent a while perusing the boards. I think the following *may* be possible.

What I'm trying to find out is: can a NAT/DHCP appliance be plugged into a physical port on the controller to allow devices associated to a particular WLAN to get DHCP from this external device and therefore use it as their default gateway. i.e. Can I create a WLAN with a simple SSID and encryption profile but no authentication profile/server/method, create a VLAN, assign both a physical access port and my WLAN to this VLAN, plug the appliance into the port and expect to see layer 2 traffic passing from a user device to the appliance? If so are there any gotchas I would need to be aware of?

I've become unstuck particularly working out if I can assign just a simple SSID profile to a WLAN, and no security/authentication/AAA profiles: basically will the controller allow me to create a simple layer 2 broadcast domain and act as a layer2 switch for my traffic.

Any help most welcomed.

Cheers.

• 2.  RE: External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2013 01:32 PM

Yes.

Create an arbitrary VLAN

Assign it to an unused port

Run the LAN/WLAN wizard and create a WLAN that assigns users to that VLAN.

Plug in the private side of that NAT device into that port.

• 3.  RE: External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

Posted Jun 14, 2013 07:06 AM

Thanks so much. I passed this on and I'm still waiting on a reply. Kudos for now and I'll post a seperate question if they can't get it working.

Adam