Wireless Access

New Contributor

External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

I hope someone can give me a basic pointer here. I'll try to be as detailed as possible but I'm asking this for a third party. They use an 800 series controller with ArubaOS v5.0.3.3 with a number of Aruba APs attached, in a corporate environment with a number of WLANs already configured. Their controller was installed years ago and was managed by someone who has now left the company, and I have no access to a controller so I'm trying to work this out theoretically.

I've scanned through the Aruba OS documentation for version 5, and spent a while perusing the boards. I think the following *may* be possible.

What I'm trying to find out is: can a NAT/DHCP appliance be plugged into a physical port on the controller to allow devices associated to a particular WLAN to get DHCP from this external device and therefore use it as their default gateway. i.e. Can I create a WLAN with a simple SSID and encryption profile but no authentication profile/server/method, create a VLAN, assign both a physical access port and my WLAN to this VLAN, plug the appliance into the port and expect to see layer 2 traffic passing from a user device to the appliance? If so are there any gotchas I would need to be aware of?

I've become unstuck particularly working out if I can assign just a simple SSID profile to a WLAN, and no security/authentication/AAA profiles: basically will the controller allow me to create a simple layer 2 broadcast domain and act as a layer2 switch for my traffic.

Any help most welcomed.

Cheers.

Guru Elite

Re: External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

Yes.

Create an arbitrary VLAN

Assign it to an unused port

Run the LAN/WLAN wizard and create a WLAN that assigns users to that VLAN.

Plug in the private side of that NAT device into that port.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Re: External DHCP Server / NAT device on VLAN, plugged into 800 series controller. Possible?

Thanks so much. I passed this on and I'm still waiting on a reply. Kudos for now and I'll post a seperate question if they can't get it working.

Adam

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: