Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Extracting database on the APs from AWMS

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Extracting database on the APs from AWMS

Posted Apr 10, 2012 01:55 PM

I have a client that needs to extract information about APs from AWMS however they do not have access to AirWave, is there a particular file that can be pulled using WinSCP or FTP?

They would like to pull all the information regarding the APs for academic research - or alternately I can possibly push the information to the client as well (if this is possible).

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.

• 2.  RE: Extracting database on the APs from AWMS

Posted Apr 11, 2012 11:06 AM

Do they have a user account to the web interface? They could make use of the AMP's XML APIs to fetch data regarding the APs. See the "AP Detail" or "AP List" APIs under Home > Documentation > State and Statistical XML API Documentation on the AMP for more information on what kind of data they contain.

What data about the APs in particular are they interested in?

• 3.  RE: Extracting database on the APs from AWMS

Posted Apr 11, 2012 11:55 AM

Unfortunately, they do not have access to the WebUI, as such we are forced to use a thrid-party application (ie: WinSCP) to extract the database from the server directly.  The would like to all the data related to the APs in any give time, such as:

• AP location
    • number of users on an AP
    • power level
    • channels being used on an AP
    • bandwidth use on an AP

I know I could run a report for all these information and grab that information in various formats, however the request is for this individual to be able to grab this information directly from the server in any given time.  Hope this answers your question and clarify as why I am stuck :).  Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Extracting database on the APs from AWMS
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 12:20 PM

So they have root access for scp but can't get a UI login to access APIs?

The data they want is not in one place on the system, and is not accessible through simple commands. But, it is accessible through the APIs, so my recommendation is to give them a read-only login to the UI which they can use to write scripts to pull data from the APIs.

• 5.  RE: Extracting database on the APs from AWMS
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 12:31 PM

thanks Muir,  this is what I thought (reared) but wanted to put it out.  Thanks again.