Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Failover when no licenses exist

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Failover when no licenses exist

Posted Mar 10, 2015 04:37 AM

Hi All,

I'm sure I did know the answer to this, but here goes...

Let’s keep it simple in terms of numbers.

1. Two local controllers on a site, and a master off-site.
    2. Each local controller has 8 AP licenses, and so does the master.
    3. Centralised licensing is OFF.
    4. Each of the locals has a VRRP which it “owns” (priority), and each is backup for the other.
    5. Each VRRP is specified as the LMS in 1 of 2 site specific AP groups.
    6. The backup LMS in each group is the master.
    7. There are 10 APs in the site. 5 in group 1, and 5 in group 2. So under normal operation, 5 on each local.

I don’t have the lab kit to test it, but I’m pretty sure last time I saw things in this setup, where one of the locals fails, 2 of the APs in that "failing-over" group (i.e. the last 2 of the 5 to try) will continue to try and connect to the other local (via the VRRP) and not the master (backup-lms)? I think this occurs because the other local will still communicate with these APs, it just doesn’t have the licenses to support/enable them? I.e. it's not that the AP>controller tunnel is down, it's more that it's unable to activate service.

The main bit I can't remember in this scenario, is whether the 2 limbo APs will EVER try to move to the backup, or if they persist forever trying to talk to the local that's out of licenses. If they do eventually try to move, I would envisage this is determined by the bootstrap-threshold or similar in the ap-sys profile?

Cheers in advance! 

• 2.  RE: Failover when no licenses exist

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2015 08:05 AM

The APs get "stuck" on the controller with no licenses with an "L" was the last behavior observed.

• 3.  RE: Failover when no licenses exist

Posted Mar 10, 2015 08:09 AM

Top man Colin. Thanks for confirming.

I thought this was the case, no harm in checking!!!